Green clumpy pool!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Emi....

Green clumpy pool!

Postby Emi.... » Mon 26 May, 2008 13:38

I am also a new pool owner and well so far I uncovered my inground pool 16x 32 and I have a very clumpy green algae infestation. So far I have only purchased 52 dollars worth of chemicals - mainly the algaecide and schock (oh and lube).

I was only able to pour algaecide. I was afraid and decided not to pour the shock because i was not able to have the sand filter Hayward S-200 turn over.

I am currently doing some research on the difference between filter, rinse and backwash and am feeling overwhelmed. I am not sure what to do first but below are is the steps that I think I am supposed to take - hope someone can help me.

1) Remove leaves with basket
2) Brush walls of pool to remove algae (Is there a chemical I can use to gather the algae together so that I can remove it easily and preventing much of it from going through the filter?)
3) Remove the valves in the pool
4) Replace with eye balls
5) Shock the pool (or do this after filter?)
6) Place valve of sand filter to filter or backwash? ....not sure....I believe under normal cicumstances I would start with the filter but I know that I have clumps of algae that will clogg the filter so do I go straight to backwash?
7)Go back from backwash to rinse to filter and continue ?
- Do I test the water before and after I clean?

Well I guess this is all I have and as I continue my research my pool is uncovered and algae sits. So far it is now uncovered for 1 night and one day.........help????????????????????????????

Re: Green clumpy pool!

Postby Guest » Mon 26 May, 2008 21:53

3 and 4. By valves I'm guessing drain plugs? I would start with those so your lines are clear.

1. Get the leaves with a net on your pole.
2. Brushing is good even if the filter isn't running. Better if it is.

If the drain plugs are all out and filter is ready to run, set it to filter and check gauge on top of filter. If pressure is 0, turn it off as you don't have a prime for the pump.

If you have a pressure, note it, and then turn off filter. Adjust filter to backwash setting and run for several minutes. Turn off filter.

Set to filter setting again and turn on. Note pressure on gauge. Is it lower than when you started the backwash?

One thing you want is a good test kit that can test CYA (conditioner) and water hardness. You need to know these numbers in order to know what to add.

This probably sounds more complicated than it is. Start with getting the filter going and clearing leaves and then start on chemicals.

ps. What type of algeacide did you use?

Emi.... wrote:I am also a new pool owner and well so far I uncovered my inground pool 16x 32 and I have a very clumpy green algae infestation. So far I have only purchased 52 dollars worth of chemicals - mainly the algaecide and schock (oh and lube).

I was only able to pour algaecide. I was afraid and decided not to pour the shock because i was not able to have the sand filter Hayward S-200 turn over.

I am currently doing some research on the difference between filter, rinse and backwash and am feeling overwhelmed. I am not sure what to do first but below are is the steps that I think I am supposed to take - hope someone can help me.

1) Remove leaves with basket
2) Brush walls of pool to remove algae (Is there a chemical I can use to gather the algae together so that I can remove it easily and preventing much of it from going through the filter?)
3) Remove the valves in the pool
4) Replace with eye balls
5) Shock the pool (or do this after filter?)
6) Place valve of sand filter to filter or backwash? ....not sure....I believe under normal cicumstances I would start with the filter but I know that I have clumps of algae that will clogg the filter so do I go straight to backwash?
7)Go back from backwash to rinse to filter and continue ?
- Do I test the water before and after I clean?

Well I guess this is all I have and as I continue my research my pool is uncovered and algae sits. So far it is now uncovered for 1 night and one day.........help????????????????????????????

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”