Chemical Question

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
MiamiSun

Chemical Question

Postby MiamiSun » Sat 06 May, 2006 16:45

I am a new pool owner and am still learning the do's and don'ts of pool cleaning. The pool we have was badly neglected prior to our taking over. The chlorine was being used very quickly also and we learned that there was ZERO stablilizer in the pool. Now, I know I am giving my pool supply store a headache by calling continuously, so I am hoping to get some advice here. A few hours ago, we put a 5 lb. bag of stabilizer all throughout the pool. When do I put the chlorine in now? Do I wait a day? How often should I shock the pool? We have one of those floating shock tablet dispensers but am unsure of how often to use it. Also, should I vacuum the pool before putting the chlorine in? Having just used the stabilizer I am unsure of the process. Thanks in advance for the help!

Pool Helper

Pool advice

Postby Pool Helper » Sun 07 May, 2006 02:19

You can add the chlorine a couple hours after the stabilizer.

The floating chlorine feeder can be left in the pool all the time to provide a slow chlorine release to the pool water.

You should shock the pool when the water starts to look dull or hazy, or when you see the first sign of algea growth. A shock is recommended every week or two.

You should vacuum when the floor of the pool has a buildup of "dust" on it. Vacuuming and backwashing should preferably be done before adding chemicals to economize on the chemicals you add.
MiamiSun

Postby MiamiSun » Sun 07 May, 2006 13:22

Thanks! You were very helpful. I expect to return with more questions later though. :wink:
Pool Helper

Pool questions

Postby Pool Helper » Sun 07 May, 2006 15:49

You are welcome! Hope to see you back here soon.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”