pool still green

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
owens5452
I'm new here
I'm new here

pool still green

Postby owens5452 » Tue 27 May, 2008 19:43

we opened our pool this year and the water was very green. I have added about 13 lbs of shock and 12 gallons of bleach and the water is still green. we have vacuumed and scrubbed the sides and the water is still green. the pump has been running on high for 4 days and we have been backwashing 3-4 times a day. we had the water tested and added the chemicals they gave us. please help. I dont know what else to do

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 27 May, 2008 21:23

First get your own test kit and stop relying on the pool stores. I use the Taylor K 2006 and it is very accurate and reliable. You need to keep your pool at shock level until the water clears up. This is where your own test kit is key. You will need to test the chlorine level 2-3 times throughout the day because you chlorine levels will drop almost instantly as it is killing algae and being burnt off by the sun. It could be that you shock the pool and all the chlorine gets used up or burnt off and the algae immediately starts coming back. I need to have a complete list of your chemistry (FC, pH, TA, CH, CYA). Your CYA is key in determining shock level. Also, if you have a sand filter you may be backwashing too frequently. Sand filters work better when slightly dirty. Only backwash when the filter pressure goes 10-15psi above normal. Brush daily and vacuum often.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
owens5452
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby owens5452 » Wed 28 May, 2008 17:31

muss08 thanks for the advice. Where can I buy that kit from?
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 28 May, 2008 18:05

www(dot)lincolnaquatics(dot)com/shop/catalog/Taylor+Test+Kits%2C+Meters+%26+Parts/product.html?ProductID=23%2D041
Have to add the (dots) because it wont let me post with .
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 29 May, 2008 15:57

The least expensive online source for the Taylor K-2006 kit is here. Another alternative is the TF100 kit from tftestkits(dot)com here with this latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”