Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
mitchsmom2003
I'm new here
I'm new here

Sand filter operation

Postby mitchsmom2003 » Wed 28 May, 2008 12:39

I am new here so please bear with me if these questions were already asked somewhere (looked but couldn't find that they had been).

1. do I need to run my sand filter 24/7?

2. Pressure ran at or around 40 when it was new (now 4 years old) now it seems to ran at 50 and sometimes higher, is that normal?

(I change my sand every year)

Re: Sand filter operation

Postby Guest » Sat 31 May, 2008 22:28

1. No. Run long enough that the pool stays clear. If it doesn't, extend the time you run it.

2. Pressure at the filter varies for every filter and for type of gauge used. Most filters will read between 10 and 20. Are you getting good flow through the system? If my system were running at 40 there would be no flow at all.

I'm guessing your gauge isn't working properly. The important thing is the flow of the water. If you are getting it then the pressure isn't high. As the filter gets dirty the pressure will go up and indicate backwashing is needed.

If it was my filter I"d pick up a new gauge. They are inexpensive and easy to install.

mitchsmom2003 wrote:I am new here so please bear with me if these questions were already asked somewhere (looked but couldn't find that they had been).

1. do I need to run my sand filter 24/7?

2. Pressure ran at or around 40 when it was new (now 4 years old) now it seems to ran at 50 and sometimes higher, is that normal?

(I change my sand every year)

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”