Brown dirt clumps on bottom of pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
larrymax
I'm new here
I'm new here

Brown dirt clumps on bottom of pool

Postby larrymax » Wed 28 May, 2008 23:16

New pool, Since the 2nd day of being filled I have little brown dirt/dust spots on the bottom of the pool. I took a brush over them and they wisp away. I took the pool vacum and slowly sucked them up. Within an hour they started coming back. They seem to multiply if I don't brush or vacum.

I pulled my filter out and after 3 days of use it was a reddish brown color. I rinsed it off and it looked brand new again. This has become a daily process.

I also can't keep my chlorine levels up. I keep shocking and it works for a few hours then chlorine goes away.

All of my other levels are fine, I do think my ph could come down a wee bit.

So does anyone think this is rust?

Thanks

Postby Guest » Thu 29 May, 2008 20:56

It's hard to say without actual numbers. :wink:

Post those and we can give accurate advice. 8)
larrymax
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby larrymax » Sat 31 May, 2008 00:18

Took pool water to pool shop. They told my water is testing great.

Eventhough my tests say no chlorine??

Bought their test strips....same thing says no chlorine. Guess I'm going to have buy that big 60.00 test kit. (They didn't say that to me, I'm assuming its going to come to that)

The "dirt" at the bottom of the pool:

They said if it was rust then the pool water would be discolored. My pool water is clear.

They also brought up alge, but since my water tests good that it's a good indication thats not the problem. They told me not to worry about it.

So now I'm down to just plain dirt. HOW???? How can so much dirt be in a week old pool that has had the pump running 10 hours a day since being filled? When I open the filter cannister it's a rusty brown color. Once a day I dump that water and rinse out the filter until the filter is clean.

I have vacumed it twice now (this morning being the 2nd)

I did it very slow to make sure not to disturb the dirt while vacuming. No one has been in the pool as of yet since the water is too cold.

Within an hour of vacuming...dirt spots everywhere. I don't get it. I've kept the pool covered 90% of the time since putting it up.

It's not covering the bottom it's just spots. I let the spots go for a day and they grew in size.

Why so much dirt or whatever it is?

Thanks

Postby Guest » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:30

In my opinion....dealing with a new pool also....ALGE!!! Mine done the same exact thing......it looks like dirt but it is not. Get your chlorine level up and add algecide...follow the directions and then use a flocculate to make the dead alge settle to bottom...follow those directions to the T....after all is settle after 24-48 hours of adding flocculate...vacuum to waste really slow not to stir it up and your on your way. It will settle for about a week but contiune to vac. Keep chlorine level up always!!!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”