dry algae stains on surface of empty pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jiggymom
I'm new here
I'm new here

dry algae stains on surface of empty pool

Postby jiggymom » Thu 29 May, 2008 06:21

Need help please !!!! We let our inground pool go for about 3 months, needless to say when we decided it was time to clean it up, it looked very much like a swamp. We had green algae everywhere and the bottom was impossible to see. After consulting our local pool store we followed their advice on chemical treatment, to no avail. We decided to drain the pool and start all over. We drained the pool, and to our dismay, the algae is everywhere and shows as a brown stain which we have tried and tried to scrub off. I really do not want to acid wash, is there anything else we can do ? Can we refill the pool and chemically treat it after the fact ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Postby Guest » Thu 29 May, 2008 14:25

you can refill the pool and treat it with ascorbic acid, which is what is in most stain removers. use a metal remover as well to prevent future staining. an acid wash would be my best recommendation though, as stain removers can be expensive and may not fix the problem 100%. you could have a continuous staining problem without doing the acid wash. that's my 2 cents worth.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”