How do I lower free chlorine level?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
lisab
I'm new here
I'm new here

How do I lower free chlorine level?

Postby lisab » Fri 30 May, 2008 19:05

New pool owners - have only shocked the pool 4 times. The first three times the level went up to 10, then back to almost zero by the next day. Last night we shocked the pool, had filter running most of night (and day) and my test strips are showing the free chlorine to still be really high.

1. We shocked the pool and then put solar cover on. Should we have left it off? Also had solar cover on most of the day today. Would that have anything to do with it?
2. If necessary, how do you lower the chlorine level (or will it go down on it's own eventually?)
3. We were told to shock the pool once per week. If the FC level is still high, should we be shocking it?

Sorry! We're new pool owners and very confused! Thank you!

New York Pool User
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: How do I lower free chlorine level?

Postby Denali » Fri 30 May, 2008 19:45

Is your pool water clear?

The chlorine level will go down on it's own. The solar cover is probably slowing the breakdown but not a real problem.

The test strips are not real accurate. A good test kit like the Taylor K-2006 is a better choice.

Don't have to shock every week if you are testing and adjusting the pool on a regular basis and the water stays clear.

What type of chlorine are you using in the pool? Do you happen to know CYA (stabilizer) levels? How high you keep your chlorine level is dependent on where the CYA level is.

lisab wrote:New pool owners - have only shocked the pool 4 times. The first three times the level went up to 10, then back to almost zero by the next day. Last night we shocked the pool, had filter running most of night (and day) and my test strips are showing the free chlorine to still be really high.

1. We shocked the pool and then put solar cover on. Should we have left it off? Also had solar cover on most of the day today. Would that have anything to do with it?
2. If necessary, how do you lower the chlorine level (or will it go down on it's own eventually?)
3. We were told to shock the pool once per week. If the FC level is still high, should we be shocking it?

Sorry! We're new pool owners and very confused! Thank you!

Return to “Chlorine”