Opening Pool for the first time

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
NancyM
I'm new here
I'm new here

Opening Pool for the first time

Postby NancyM » Sun 07 May, 2006 10:45

We bought a house last fall that had in above-ground pool. The water was green and dirty but we cleaned and backwashed it,had the water tested by a Pool Store and then added the proper chemcials to have the pool to bed for the winter. About a month after tarping the pool we discovered that we had put a small hole in the liner when cleaning it and all but a very small amount of water had leaked out. We repaired the hole, refilled it and then left it for the winter. Now my big question is: Where do we start with opening up the pool for the spring. We live in Ontario, so when would be a good time to clean out the leaves and start it up?? What do we have to buy in the way of chemicals etc. to get the pool ready for summer?? I would SO APPRECIATE anyones help that is experienced with this......Thanks....

Pooll

Pool opening in Canada

Postby Pooll » Sun 07 May, 2006 15:37

It's a good idea to consider opening the pool before the weather gets too warm, usually a month or more before the swimming weather begins.

Here is a basic chemical list:
- chlorine
- cyanuric acid (if you use unstabilised chlorine)
- pH adjuster (pH up or pH down, depending on your fill water)
- algicide
- clarifier/flocculant

If you use a mineral system such as the Pool Wizard, you won't need the algicide or flocculant.

You should also get hold of a good test kit to measure chlorine and pH levels. Try get a kit that uses DPD for the chlorine test (the OTO tests are rather inaccurate and the OTO is highly poisonous).

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”