Ants in the pool?

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
nofx1981
I'm new here
I'm new here

Ants in the pool?

Postby nofx1981 » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:31

I woke up this morning and looked at the pool and noticed a lot of black specs on the surface. Upon closer inspection I could see that they were ants! hundreds, maybe thousands of ants! :shock: on the surface of the water and on the bottom of the pool. I can see that the ants are being blown into the pool through the return jets :o 3 or 4 ants are being blown into the pool every 5 - 10 seconds or so.. what is going on?!

I'm thinking somehow a nest broke through the main return line somewhere because they're coming out both return jets. Is this even possible? Is it more likely the return line sprung a leak near an ant nest?It doesn't seem like I'm losing water, but this just happend so it's probably too early to tell. If I've got a leak in the return line shouldn't I be seing air coming out the jets too?

Any help would be great!
Thanks

Chopanegas

Ants in the pool?

Postby Chopanegas » Mon 23 May, 2011 16:22

My pool has the same problem later in the summer. I spray around the outside of the pool and the problem disappeared. Like you I could not see how they were getting in!!!
lisaa
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Ants in the pool?

Postby lisaa » Tue 24 May, 2011 05:56

Ants do not like DE sprinkle some amount of DE around the pool. This will prevent them from entering the pool.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Ants in the pool?

Postby rosalind » Tue 29 May, 2012 00:39

nofx1981 wrote:I woke up this morning and looked at the pool and noticed a lot of black specs on the surface. Upon closer inspection I could see that they were ants! hundreds, maybe thousands of ants! :shock: on the surface of the water and on the bottom of the pool. I can see that the ants are being blown into the pool through the return jets :o 3 or 4 ants are being blown into the pool every 5 - 10 seconds or so.. what is going on?!

I'm thinking somehow a nest broke through the main return line somewhere because they're coming out both return jets. Is this even possible? Is it more likely the return line sprung a leak near an ant nest?It doesn't seem like I'm losing water, but this just happend so it's probably too early to tell. If I've got a leak in the return line shouldn't I be seing air coming out the jets too?

Any help would be great!
Thanks

As per my views hot water is best way to get rid ants from the pool. You should deluge some hot water into pool, So that repellent on the cracks. Plenty of hot water will be much beneficial to get rid of ants.
lightandspace
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Ants in the pool?

Postby lightandspace » Tue 29 May, 2012 04:26

Is there were some sweets near to the pool?
because i never get it around my swimming pool...
Kelvin

Ants in the pool?

Postby Kelvin » Tue 14 May, 2013 20:25

I have the same problem thousands of ant everyday for weeks now Have sprayed ant killers I will try DE =Diatimacious earth
evarnes
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Ants in the pool?

Postby evarnes » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 07:22

We have what link like small flying ants in the pool. They deliver a bit of a bite along with a welt and itching with swelling. I have sprayed around the pool. I seem to remember years ago there was something you could add to your pool water that would "sink" bugs. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bonns
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Always been a fan of the 17' endless pool spa. It even has a water purification system. Just love it.

Postby Bonns » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 03:54

It's really strange. Very uncommon.
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby paulbest » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 22:35

If you can't trace the source of the ant infestation (which could be caused by different things), the best way to address the issue is to use pool cover whenever your pool is stagnant or not in use.

Of course, determining the cause of where the ants came from would be the most ideal thing. Call you local pest control services.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 07:01

Hello,
There are many methods to prevent the pool from the ants. You can add chemicals and spray it inside and outside of the pool.
wisford1966
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wisford1966 » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 05:00

Remove any plants from the pool area for the time being. Ants can use plants for both sustenance and shelter and removing them will benefit you as you take action against the ants near the pool.
AmyCromwell
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is large and beautiful.

Postby AmyCromwell » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 23:57

There are various types of ants and each ant have different characteristics that may require a different approach to controlling them. Ants can be totally eliminated by spraying pesticides in their nests inside. Most of the time ants nests are found behind walls, doors, furniture, near the trees and near the pool area. If you want to eliminate these ants completely, then you should surely go for the pest control services. Last month, I was also dealing with the same issues, then I had hired an exterminator in Manhattan NY area by searching them from local directory. If you want, you can get in contact with your local extermination services who can able to exterminate these ants for ever.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”