Jandy DE filter failure. recall?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
drsmith
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby drsmith » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:40

while having my in-ground pool heater repaired (pool is 7 yrs old), the tech suggested that I may be facing a future problem with my Jandy DE (model DE 48) filter. He wasn't trying to make a sale, but rather shared that many of these models fail suddenly and that some customers have replaced them at significant expense while others had success with getting the manufacturer to replace them as "defective". I can't find any internet blogs echoing a similar problem. Has anyone had a Jandy failure and gotten the unit replaced? I know the filter screens are damaged as i get some DE in the pool when i backwash. They are less that 1 yr old. Help.

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:52

Jandy makes excellent DE filters and there has not been a recall. The grids may have been made by another manufactuer. I would recommend Jandy to my Mom and Dad.
WES

Postby WES » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 13:39

My Jandy DE48 just failed last week after 6 years of service. It split open about 12 inches just above the seam mid way where you seperate the top and bottom. The warranty from Jandy I believe was 10 years (on the case) and obviously would have been pro-rated for use. While checking my paperwork I found my pool company guaranteed the filter(case only) for life. Good news for me. When I called them they said there was a problem with them and that Jandy authorized them to swap it out for the new current model including the diverter valve. However, they did want 450 to install it as the warranty did not cover labor. I asked them if I could install it and they said they just needed the old filter and valve back to give to Jandy.
I drove right to my pool company and to my luck they did not have any 48's in stock , so they gave me a 60.
So the bottom line after talking to the service manager is that there are quite a few of these DE48's failing and Jandy is making good on them.
john pilon

Postby john pilon » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 11:47

I have a simular problem, could you send me whatever info you may have, copy of warranty ect. I have called jandy they have been bought by zodiac, and they are claiming to have no knowlege of any jandy warranties, yea right!
john pilon

De 48

Postby john pilon » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:03

WES wrote:My Jandy DE48 just failed last week after 6 years of service. It split open about 12 inches just above the seam mid way where you seperate the top and bottom. The warranty from Jandy I believe was 10 years (on the case) and obviously would have been pro-rated for use. While checking my paperwork I found my pool company guaranteed the filter(case only) for life. Good news for me. When I called them they said there was a problem with them and that Jandy authorized them to swap it out for the new current model including the diverter valve. However, they did want 450 to install it as the warranty did not cover labor. I asked them if I could install it and they said they just needed the old filter and valve back to give to Jandy.
I drove right to my pool company and to my luck they did not have any 48's in stock , so they gave me a 60.
So the bottom line after talking to the service manager is that there are quite a few of these DE48's failing and Jandy is making good on them.
john pilon

Postby john pilon » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:07

I too am having a simular problem, could you help me out with either the name of your dealer or a copy of the original warranty, Jandy, now Zodyak are claiming to know nothing about either the warranty or the ongoing problem with the cracking if the outer casing, jnolip@yahoo.com
frank

Postby frank » Sat 13 Jun, 2009 23:47

I have a 1 year old Jandy DEV 48 snd one, it still blows DE back in the pool. The inlet tube is engineeered wrong, it is smaller then the connecting tube by far. Also the o ring doesnt seal. This has been a nightmare. Would never buy another Jandy DE pool filter.
barb

Postby barb » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 20:52

Our Jandy DE 48 filter just blew DE into our pool yesterday. The pool company that I do business with said that there was probably a hole in one of the grids, but when we took it apart to clean it, there is a crack across the upper manifold. This was installed in July of 2007! PLEASE someone point me in the right direction for warranty information. We paid well over $1200 for this, and would like to see the company stand behind their product. Thanks for your help!
Barb
ckourylauer

Postby ckourylauer » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:10

What is the best DE Filter to buy, I was ready to buy a Jandy but reading all of this talked me out of it!???
jimmy

Postby jimmy » Tue 14 Jul, 2009 16:25

I have a Jandy DEL60 and it split on the bottom between the two pipes. on the inside it looked like it was where there was a seam or a parting line.

Jandy service said there was only a 3 year warrantly, and this is 4 yeares old. Seems like a $1000 filter ought to last longer than 4 years! Especially a Jandy if they are supposed ot be so good. When I asked if I oculd order the bottom, Jandy said it was no longer available because it had been replaced by the DEV60. I asked what the difference was, and they said the DEV's were stronger because of the splitting problem!!

I am replacing it with a Hayward and would never advise my mom or dad to get a Jandy.
ron5300

Postby ron5300 » Mon 30 Nov, 2009 13:10

i have a jandy cj200 filter which is 3-1/2 yrs old and yesterday the unit cracked and developed a 4 inch long crack approx 2 inches above the left bottom fitting...

there is no crack on the fitting... on the bottom half of the filter a 4 inch long crack opened on its side wall..

i live in central florida where the low year round temp rarely goes below 40F.....

its like a bucket developing a whole in the side of it....

the wholesale on these is 500 + shpg plus tax and installation...
and ordering just the bottom only saves 120$

i'm told that most mfg's used to give a 10 yr warranty but now its only a 1 yr...
skos
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter

Postby skos » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:14

I believe I also may have a problem wih my filter. Did you guys experience pressure loss?

How did you know it was the filter?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:33

skos wrote:I believe I also may have a problem wih my filter. Did you guys experience pressure loss?

When the filter cracks, it will either spray, or pour water everywhere!

Postby Guest » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:42

swimnsaveusa wrote:
skos wrote:I believe I also may have a problem wih my filter. Did you guys experience pressure loss?

no spray or pouring happening. Just an increase in pressure from 20 to about 35-40, then fountain loss
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 14:29

Pool User wrote:
swimnsaveusa wrote:

no spray or pouring happening. Just an increase in pressure from 20 to about 35-40, then fountain loss

Have you checked to see if you have a clogged return line? Also, did you recently put new filter media in?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”