My hayward sand filter is blowing sand into my pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
yankeee
I'm new here
I'm new here

My hayward sand filter is blowing sand into my pool

Postby yankeee » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 17:22

Can someone help me and let me know what I have to do?

After hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals, my pool will not clear up and I have scooped out piles of sand from the bottom of the pool .

The sand filter is a Hayward S 190T.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.I would love to be able to see the bottom!!!! and NOT a bottom covered in sand!

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 18:26

Chances are the laterals in the bottom of the filter are broken or cracked. You are gong to have to remove all your sand and replace the laterals. Then refill with the old sand.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
yankeee
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby yankeee » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:44

Can you tell me if its easy to change the laterals?

I'm fairly handy, so if I buy them (I'm assuming I need all of them) I wonder how difficult it is to replace the old laterals.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 20:16

Its very easy to replace the laterals. They are at the bottom of the filter (so you have to reach down) and simply unscrew out and screw the new ones in. There will be 6-8 of them- they are cylinders that are slotted at the bottom and screw into the hub at the bottom. The only thing is to not screw in too tight- hand tight and that is all. They are plastic and will crack if you overtighten. Once you have the new ones in take a bucket or hose and fill the bottom of the filter with water so the water covers the laterals. Then pour the sand back in.
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience
yankeee
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby yankeee » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:32

Hi again Muss-

Well-after taking the filter apart,I found the laterals to be fine- but the lateral holder is cracked in 2 places. is this what is causing the problem? and after searching for that part which is a stationary part, they only have a folding umbrella lateral holder available (which is listed for the S-200 ) Will this work? I have screw in laterals and the folding holder states for screw in laterals,but will it be the same size? Please email me at so I can get this ordered asap . I would love to be able to use my pool this season!And thanks for all your help!!!!
srg55
I'm new here
I'm new here

Get rid of your sand filter---NOW!!

Postby srg55 » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 22:12

They are crappy pieces of junk! I had one for three years and my pool was never crystal clear. In desperation I bought a DE filter. Almost overnight my pool water brightened up. As a pool owner of twenty years, now, I can guarantee that you will be happier with DE, although it, too, is a piece of junk, as you will find out, but it is definitely the lesser of two evils.

All pool supplies for the home owner are of terrible quality, but that is part of the game you play when you decide, as a home owner, to install a pool.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”