Leaks at bottom of cartridge filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
RVPWT

Leaks at bottom of cartridge filter

Postby RVPWT » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 21:39

Help.... I bought a home with an inground pool . House was built in 1970's and suppose that pool was same time. Here is my problem. My cartridge filter leaks out of the bottom. It was a fairly slow leak until I replaced the o-ring on the lid. Now it REALLY pours water out of the bottom. I have also replaced the air release valve and pressure valve and found the pressure valve not tight, tightened that and it got better, but still have water leaking from bottom.
From finding forums like this and reading online I believe that I most likely have air leaking into my filter somehow. I just really need suggestions of what to check next.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 20:27

What kind of cartridge filter is it and where exactly is the leak? There is usually a drain plug at the bottom- is it leaking from there or somewhere else?
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
rvpwt

Postby rvpwt » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 13:00

It is a Pentair Clean and Clear 200 (Predator) and water pours out from the base, not the drain plug. I have lubed the drain plug gasket with silicone.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 20:00

Can you locate the leak at the base or is it coming from the under the filter? Could the leak be from the intake or outake piping? If the leak is coming from the filter canister itself and not from the drain plugm plumbing, or where the top and bottom join together it will be necessary to replace the filter. Air getting into the filter will not create a leak but will allow a leak to leak quicker.
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience

Postby Guest » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 23:48

You are 100% correct. The filter housing was cracked on the bottom. Replaced the filter and looked at the old one, someone had put something like JB weld on it.

Running like a gem now. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”