Pool Using Too Much Water???

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
texturk

Pool Using Too Much Water???

Postby texturk » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:32

It appears that my pool is using from 1 to 1 1/2 cubic meters of water each day to keep it full. The weather is hot here - around 95 most days and so I am sure some of it is just evaporation. But I worry that there might be a leak somewhere. Can anyone tell me what normal useage would be. I think my pool holds around 15,000 gallons if I computed it right.

Re: Pool Using Too Much Water???

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:05

Here is an easy way to test for leaks.

Bucket Test Procedure:

Bring the pool water to its normal level
Fill an empty bucket with pool water to about one inch from the top of bucket. (By filling the bucket close to the top you are ensuring that air movement over the surface of the bucket will similar to that of the pool.)

Place the bucket on the first or second step of the pool. To keep it from floating away it may be necessary to place a few bricks or rocks into the bucket. (By placing the bucket in the pool water you are ensuring that the water temperature of each will be similar).

Mark the water level inside the bucket.
Mark the water level of the pool on the outside of the bucket, on the pool wall, or skimmer face plate.

Operate the pool for 24 hours as it had been operated when a leak was first suspected.
After 24 hours, compare the two levels. If the pool water (outside mark) goes down more than the inside water level, there is probably a leak.

texturk wrote:It appears that my pool is using from 1 to 1 1/2 cubic meters of water each day to keep it full. The weather is hot here - around 95 most days and so I am sure some of it is just evaporation. But I worry that there might be a leak somewhere. Can anyone tell me what normal useage would be. I think my pool holds around 15,000 gallons if I computed it right.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”