Low flow, plump loses prime when off

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
tryingtoenjoypool

Low flow, plump loses prime when off

Postby tryingtoenjoypool » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 20:24

I have an inground pool with skimmer and drain. flow is low and air pocket remains in the pump filter compartment. no difference in rate of flow from skimmer and drain when I close one and the other. No difference in flow from filter to backwash.

I blew out the skimmer line and no obstructions, could not get enough pressure to blow air through drainline.

Any thoughts on what problem might be? Pump is a little louder than normal but seems to be functioning. Sand filter is seven years old and never changed sand. At a loss as to what might be problem, definitely seems to be suction side issue.

Help please.

Re: Low flow, plump loses prime when off

Postby Guest » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 00:11

First place I would look is the impeller. Open pump lid and remove basket (with equipment off of course). Reach into small opening toward the motor and feel for debris in there. Often debris will get caught at the impeller and slow things down.

Next place to look is a leak at the pump lid oring. Open pump lid and examine the oring checkings it's condition. Lube it up and reprime pump. Look for water leaks around the pump. After running the pump, turn it off and listen for air being pulled into the system.

Good luck with it.

tryingtoenjoypool wrote:I have an inground pool with skimmer and drain. flow is low and air pocket remains in the pump filter compartment. no difference in rate of flow from skimmer and drain when I close one and the other. No difference in flow from filter to backwash.

I blew out the skimmer line and no obstructions, could not get enough pressure to blow air through drainline.

Any thoughts on what problem might be? Pump is a little louder than normal but seems to be functioning. Sand filter is seven years old and never changed sand. At a loss as to what might be problem, definitely seems to be suction side issue.

Help please.

Postby Guest » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 00:14

Just reread your title. If you lose prime when the pump is off then you have a leak on the suction side.

I would do the things I mentioned in my first post and see if you run into the problem. Any signs of water around the pump or at the pipes coming into and going out of the pump will give you a clue as to where the leak is.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”