New to pools and thick in the skull!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kimpope08
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 20:52
Location: Southern Utah

New to pools and thick in the skull!

Postby kimpope08 » Thu 24 Jul, 2008 21:09

I have a really hard time getting the big picture when it comes to understanding the instructions and order of chemicals in the pool.

For starters... we have a 13' round above the ground vinyl pool with steel legs.

Sooo, first thing. We filled our pool and things seemed fine but we could NEVER get the chlorine level to read above 0. We used a stabilizer and then added shock according to the instructions. I checked the levels every day and noticed that the PH was a little high, but the alkaline was way high and still... NO chlorine. Ever. Even after adding the proper amount.

Then we got attacked by bee's. We had swarms around the pool for a week so it went completely unused but had those dead bee's in it. We finally got that under control and cleaned it out. While we weren't using it during that week, my husband drained it half way to re-adjust the legs of the pool. We filled it back up, skimmed the bugs and treated it as though we had newly set the pool up.

It looked beautiful for about 2 hours.. and then literally within an hour of the kids getting in, little brown dirt looking clumps started gathering on the bottom of the pool. If this is algae.. what on earth would cause it to suddenly be there and how in the heck to I get rid of it?

Also.. it may be helpful to know that the pool is on a concrete foundation. The kids are not getting actual dirt in it. BUT... we don't have a cover for it. I can't find one for a 13' pool... it seems they don't exist! They have 12' and 15'.. but no 13'.

I have no clue what to use. I have no clue about how to "keep" chlorine in the pool and how to get the alkaline and ph down. We have to change the filter twice a week which is getting pretty expensive.. I have no clue how to remedy that. I also have no clue which chemical does what... what keeps the algae away, what keeps bacteria out, what helps the chlorine to last, what makes it not too harsh on skin... etc, etc.?

Any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks in advance... I know that's alot and I know I could just read the instructions again and again until it sinks in...


Guest

Re: New to pools and thick in the skull!

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 00:41

I'm guessing you have the Intex filter with paper filters? If so, it just isn't a very good filter.

Are you testing the water using test strips? I ask because high chlorine can bleach the test strips pads and give inaccurate readings.

Muriactic acid or pH down is usually used to lower TA and pH.

If you really have no chlorine level then algae will grow quickly. This is especially true when you have the type of filter you appear to have.

The only way to stay on top of your pool is to be able to accurately test the water. That means a good test kit or a trip to the pool store to have it tested.

Good luck to you.

kimpope08 wrote:I have a really hard time getting the big picture when it comes to understanding the instructions and order of chemicals in the pool.

For starters... we have a 13' round above the ground vinyl pool with steel legs.

Sooo, first thing. We filled our pool and things seemed fine but we could NEVER get the chlorine level to read above 0. We used a stabilizer and then added shock according to the instructions. I checked the levels every day and noticed that the PH was a little high, but the alkaline was way high and still... NO chlorine. Ever. Even after adding the proper amount.

Then we got attacked by bee's. We had swarms around the pool for a week so it went completely unused but had those dead bee's in it. We finally got that under control and cleaned it out. While we weren't using it during that week, my husband drained it half way to re-adjust the legs of the pool. We filled it back up, skimmed the bugs and treated it as though we had newly set the pool up.

It looked beautiful for about 2 hours.. and then literally within an hour of the kids getting in, little brown dirt looking clumps started gathering on the bottom of the pool. If this is algae.. what on earth would cause it to suddenly be there and how in the heck to I get rid of it?

Also.. it may be helpful to know that the pool is on a concrete foundation. The kids are not getting actual dirt in it. BUT... we don't have a cover for it. I can't find one for a 13' pool... it seems they don't exist! They have 12' and 15'.. but no 13'.

I have no clue what to use. I have no clue about how to "keep" chlorine in the pool and how to get the alkaline and ph down. We have to change the filter twice a week which is getting pretty expensive.. I have no clue how to remedy that. I also have no clue which chemical does what... what keeps the algae away, what keeps bacteria out, what helps the chlorine to last, what makes it not too harsh on skin... etc, etc.?

Any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks in advance... I know that's alot and I know I could just read the instructions again and again until it sinks in...

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests