Please Help!! Water analysis posted!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
cantera
I'm new here
I'm new here

Please Help!! Water analysis posted!

Postby cantera » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 20:52

Came back from vacation and lights had turned off sometime while we were gone(8 days). The swp did not reset, it has to be done manually. I have a metal frame above ground 12,000 gal. vinyl pool, the kind you purchase from walmart. The water is green. I can barely see the bottom. It was always crystal clear before. We vacuumed. Added more salt because the swp is showing the salt level is low. It looks like the water is getting worse as the hours go by. Can i put reg. clorox in the pool to help with getting rid of the algae. Will it affect my swp? If so, how much? Please help. Thank you.

cantera
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cantera » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 22:24

Okay. After going through a few pages of the posts, I read that I can use regular non-scented bleach. How much do I use for a 12000 gal. pool and do I run my swg at the same time or just the filter pump? Sorry I can't give you any readings of my water. I don't have a dependable tester. I ordered the one with "2006" in the name but that was just yesterday. I ordered it online and called the 1-800 # and they said it will take up to a week. What can I do for now? I'm running my swg, I've vacuumed my pool, cleaned the filter and will continue to do so twice a day. Oh yeah and my husband decided to take care of the problem himself by adding the algaecide you buy from walmart. after reading a few posts, i see it does not help.
cantera
I'm new here
I'm new here

Got a water Analysis. Please help!

Postby cantera » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 17:17

I ran my swg for 12 hours each day for the past 3 days because I did not know what else to do about the algae and I just did not want to do nothing. The very next morning my water was blue, cloudy, and could hardly see the bottom. The next day it was clear, a little cloudy, and could see the bottom. Yesterday it was clear and today also.
I took my water to get tested yesterday and here are my #'s:

Free Available Chlorine .2
Total Chlorine .2
Combined Chlorind 0
Total Alkalinity 184
pH 7.6
Calcium Hardness 4
Cyanuric Acid 9
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 0
Saturation Index -1.41

I don't believe I have gotton rid of my algae problem. It was just too easy to get the water clear again. Besides my chlorine levels are very low after running the swg. PLEASE HELP!
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 20:18

You need to shock your pool with regular unscented 6% clorox and yes it is fine to add this while the swg is running. It will help keep the chlorine level up longer. You TA is high and should be lowered. And you need more cyanuric acid in the pool. To get your chlorine to shock level add 2 gallons of bleach. To get your TA down you need to lower your pH down to 7.2 with acid then let it raise naturally and repeat the process with acid until the TA gets down to 100ppm. Add about 1qt of acid to lower the pH down to 7.2. You should add about 6lbs of cyanuric acid to get it up to 60ppm which is a descent level for a swg pool.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”