dirty pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
pool gal
I'm new here
I'm new here

dirty pool

Postby pool gal » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 15:43

I have been reading alot of helpful info in here, I started with th topic
"Turning your green swamp back into a sparkling oasis", which is very helpful. It talks about needing to sweep the sides of the pool every day while it is as shock level to kill all the algae. I have a 32 ft roung AG pool and it has a fence on the top, I am unable to sweep the sides without getting in it. This might seem obvious to some, but can I get in it when it has such high chlorine levels? If not how am I supposed to get the algae off the sides? I also have leaves, from where the tarp fell in due to the large amounts of rain we got. I know I need to get these out the best I can but do the leaves effect the chemical levels? Any help on this is would be helpful, I thought a large pool would be good, should have stayed with a small one, it is almost impossible to clean without getting in it.

Re: dirty pool

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 00:28

I wouldn't worry about getting in to clean. Take a shower after and wash out your swim suit.

Yes, the leaves will have an effect. Anything from outside the pool brings it's own bacteria etc and chlorine will be used to combat it.

pool gal wrote:I have been reading alot of helpful info in here, I started with th topic
"Turning your green swamp back into a sparkling oasis", which is very helpful. It talks about needing to sweep the sides of the pool every day while it is as shock level to kill all the algae. I have a 32 ft roung AG pool and it has a fence on the top, I am unable to sweep the sides without getting in it. This might seem obvious to some, but can I get in it when it has such high chlorine levels? If not how am I supposed to get the algae off the sides? I also have leaves, from where the tarp fell in due to the large amounts of rain we got. I know I need to get these out the best I can but do the leaves effect the chemical levels? Any help on this is would be helpful, I thought a large pool would be good, should have stayed with a small one, it is almost impossible to clean without getting in it.
help

Postby help » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:41

Thanks for the info, my water is pretty dirty and I can't see the bottom, but I know there are leaves in it, I try to pull some out every night. I am filling it back up ( I drained some of it out), can I just shock it until it clears up some so I can see the bottom to vacuum? Does this mean I will need alot more chlorine than normal because of the leaves or doesn't this really have an effect. I realize that getting all the leaves out before is obviously the best plan, but I am seriously hurting my back trying to get the leaves out with a net from the deck outside the pool. I haven't started putting the chlorine in yet, am planning on starting that tomorrow once I get it filled back up. Thank you so much

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 21:23

I would shock it until it clears. Once clear and you can see what is going on, then get the leaves out and vacuum. Depending on the size of the leaves, a leaf trap you add to the vacuum would be a nice addition.

That way you can vacuum up the leaves and they don't plug up the pump basket.

help wrote:Thanks for the info, my water is pretty dirty and I can't see the bottom, but I know there are leaves in it, I try to pull some out every night. I am filling it back up ( I drained some of it out), can I just shock it until it clears up some so I can see the bottom to vacuum? Does this mean I will need alot more chlorine than normal because of the leaves or doesn't this really have an effect. I realize that getting all the leaves out before is obviously the best plan, but I am seriously hurting my back trying to get the leaves out with a net from the deck outside the pool. I haven't started putting the chlorine in yet, am planning on starting that tomorrow once I get it filled back up. Thank you so much

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 08:14

Thanks again, I plan on putting my pump on waste to vacuum the leaves out once I can see what is going on in there. I will have to add more water and chlorine but it that much easier than emptying the basket and repriming the hose every 3 minutes. Thanks again for all your info.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”