need help figuring out CYA

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
irishsph

need help figuring out CYA

Postby irishsph » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 17:49

How do I know how much CYA to add and when to add it?

I am constantly adding chlorine to make sure my free chlorine level is high enough. My CYA recently tested at less than 30 ppm using a Taylor K 2006 test kit.

I am under the impression that a proper CYA level will keep me from burning off so much chlorine. Is that correct?

Finally, what kind of CYA level do I want to establish and how do I establish based on an 18,000 gallon above ground pool?

Thanks.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 19:53

You need your CYA to be 30-60ppm. The Taylor K 2006 is a great test kit for figuring out your CYA. I would add 4lbs of cyanuric acid and retest a couple days later.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
irishsph

Postby irishsph » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:44

Thanks!

what's the preferred method of adding CYA? I have read that it says add it to the skimmer. Does that mean literally pouring it into the skimmer?
Do I have to run the pump 24/7 after that?

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 16:56

You can add it directly to the skimmer. Clean your filter first because it will take a few days to a week to fully dissolve.

irishsph wrote:Thanks!

what's the preferred method of adding CYA? I have read that it says add it to the skimmer. Does that mean literally pouring it into the skimmer?
Do I have to run the pump 24/7 after that?
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 18:08

If you simply have a white plaster pool it is fine to just broadcast it all around the pool and brush a couple times a day to stir it up. You can also add the cya into an old sock or panty hose and either throw that into the skimmer or hang it over a return. It does take a long time to dissolve so putting it into the skimmer is a bad idea if you have a sand or de filter because you then cant backwash if you need to because you will lose all the cya that is in the filter.
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”