algae, green or mustard

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
lidboymk2
I'm new here
I'm new here

algae, green or mustard

Postby lidboymk2 » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 15:13

Suddenly after leaving our pool covered for 2 days as it was cooler we open our pool and help! its green and cloudy. I think it is mustard algae as it is very fine and on the steps is distinctly brownish in colour. We then checked the chemicals which were fine, so used anti algeacide, then used a floculant so we could hoover up the particles.
We still have a problem ,and I am not sure which way to turn. DO we use more floculant so we can hoover it up, only it has to go out through the filter as we have no waste filter and I think it goes back in to thepool, or do we shock the pool heavily, run the pump for 2 days and then see if it will clear itsle. Only thing is after the 2 days I feel we will have a job to hoove it out without a floculent. I feel we are in a catch 22 situation. Run the pump to kill the algae or floculant the pool, therfore no pump so that the algea can be hoovered.
I would welcome any ideas please. We are in the south of France therefore, fairly hot, 32- 34 each day.
Many thanks

Re: algae, green or mustard

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:30

I would shock the pool and run the filter. Keep the chlorine level high until the algae is dead. Once dead the algae should settle to the bottom. Then vacuum it up.

If you see the dead algae coming back into the pool then there is something wrong with your filter.

What type of filter do your have? DE? Sand? Cartridge?

lidboymk2 wrote:Suddenly after leaving our pool covered for 2 days as it was cooler we open our pool and help! its green and cloudy. I think it is mustard algae as it is very fine and on the steps is distinctly brownish in colour. We then checked the chemicals which were fine, so used anti algeacide, then used a floculant so we could hoover up the particles.
We still have a problem ,and I am not sure which way to turn. DO we use more floculant so we can hoover it up, only it has to go out through the filter as we have no waste filter and I think it goes back in to thepool, or do we shock the pool heavily, run the pump for 2 days and then see if it will clear itsle. Only thing is after the 2 days I feel we will have a job to hoove it out without a floculent. I feel we are in a catch 22 situation. Run the pump to kill the algae or floculant the pool, therfore no pump so that the algea can be hoovered.
I would welcome any ideas please. We are in the south of France therefore, fairly hot, 32- 34 each day.
Many thanks

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”