pool pump PROBLEM

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Coach

pool pump PROBLEM

Postby Coach » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 13:19

I turn on my pool pump and all it does is vibrate. No water flow in and no flow out the pool jets. I tried to create a better cyphon , but that did nothing. Does my motor need maintenencing? I am going to turn off the main power and try to run my garden hose backwords through the system to see if there is a clogged pipe. any other suggestions?

Thanks
Coach

Re: pool pump PROBLEM

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 17:06

Here is what I would suggest. Turn of pump, open the pump lid and remove basket. Reach into opening toward the motor and feel for the impeller and see if there is any debris in there. Make sure impeller is turning freely.

Put pump basket back in and fill pump with water. Close lid and start pump. Open filter air relief until water shoots out. If pump doesn't prime, turn off.

With equipment off, use a drain king (cheap device you add to end of garden hose) and push into skimmer end and turn on hose. Watch pump to see if water and/or debris comes through. If you get nothing, try the drain king from the pump end back toward the skimmer.

Coach wrote:I turn on my pool pump and all it does is vibrate. No water flow in and no flow out the pool jets. I tried to create a better cyphon , but that did nothing. Does my motor need maintenencing? I am going to turn off the main power and try to run my garden hose backwords through the system to see if there is a clogged pipe. any other suggestions?

Thanks
Coach
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 14:42

I turn on my pool pump and all it does is vibrate. No water flow in and no flow out the pool jets. I tried to create a better cyphon , but that did nothing. Does my motor need maintenencing? I am going to turn off the main power and try to run my garden hose backwords through the system to see if there is a clogged pipe. any other suggestions?

Thanks
Coach

If your pump/motor is humming something is wrong with impeller which could be clogged or has worn bushing where it sits inside defuser which is in front of it. First you can try the above which can work, if this does not then with basket & lid off & water in it, turn on & off pump & see if water is sucked through hole. If it does not suck water you need to pull the motor from the back of pump & inspect parts & look for more debri buildup. Once done with motor out you can turn on & off motor to see if impeller turns. If it seems good but still humms then you would need electrical checked for correct output.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”