Yellow Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Kim

Yellow Algae

Postby Kim » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 19:28

I am a first time swimming pool owner. My water is crystal clear, but chlorine levels have been low. I vaccumed tonight and wall on far side was kinda slick so I took a brush to it and than my hubby moved our steps and behind the steps, under the steps and inside the steps was covered with yellow slime. How do I get rid of it. I was told several things. Should I algaecide it and than shock it or just shock it? Should I flock it. What should I do. My water is always clear so I didnt think about having algae in my steps. Once I get rid of it how do I keep it from coming back with steps that sit in the pool.

Thanks

Re: Yellow Algae

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:42

If you really have yellow algae you need to add chlorine to bring the pool to shock levels and hold it there until the algae is dead. If the steps come out of the pool, take them out and scrub them clean.

Brush the walls of the pool and anywhere you see the yellow. Yellow algae is tough. It tends to come back whenever you let the free chlorine level in your pool get low.

Once dead it will settle out and you can vacuum it out (to waste if possible). Maintain your free chlorine level to prevent it coming back.

Good luck.

Kim wrote:I am a first time swimming pool owner. My water is crystal clear, but chlorine levels have been low. I vaccumed tonight and wall on far side was kinda slick so I took a brush to it and than my hubby moved our steps and behind the steps, under the steps and inside the steps was covered with yellow slime. How do I get rid of it. I was told several things. Should I algaecide it and than shock it or just shock it? Should I flock it. What should I do. My water is always clear so I didnt think about having algae in my steps. Once I get rid of it how do I keep it from coming back with steps that sit in the pool.

Thanks

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”