Hi Chlorine, PH but low alk

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Lynn 158

Hi Chlorine, PH but low alk

Postby Lynn 158 » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 20:47

I have an inground salt water pool, have not added any salt this year nor have a shocked it. Tested via pool strips and a pool supply company, bought PH Down but it's still too high, chlorine level is dark purple on test strips. Limited supplies available here especially for salt water pools. Also, my pool is in an enclosed building so it doesn't get direct sun to deplete the salt. Help please


Guest

Re: Hi Chlorine, PH but low alk

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:48

Do you have the numbers from the pool supply place? Knowing just how low the TA is and how high the pH is will make it easier to help.

Tim

Lynn 158 wrote:I have an inground salt water pool, have not added any salt this year nor have a shocked it. Tested via pool strips and a pool supply company, bought PH Down but it's still too high, chlorine level is dark purple on test strips. Limited supplies available here especially for salt water pools. Also, my pool is in an enclosed building so it doesn't get direct sun to deplete the salt. Help please
Lynn 158

problems with PH/chlorine and alkalinity in salt water pool

Postby Lynn 158 » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 18:33

I got a different testing system at the local pool store, they do not carry salt water testing strips or systems but at least I did get a better reading than I got from my old strips. I live in a very small rural town and I don't know of but one other person here that has a salt water pool. The company that installed my pool are out of business. The numbers are:

PH over 10

Free Chlorine over 12

Alkalinity is 0

Stabilizer is 0.

My pool is an indoor pool so it doesn't get direct sunlight. It has a vinyl liner. The water is very clear but in just the past few days all of the PH, Chlorine and Alk
have changed dramatically. No one uses the pool but me and I have not shocked the pool or added salt this year. The back wash water is clear.

Thanks for your help.
Lynn
Guest

Re: problems with PH/chlorine and alkalinity in salt water p

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 21:55

Wow, those are some strange numbers. Just to be sure, you have a salt water chlorine generator? If so it's unusual to have the TA (total alkalinity) drop.

If your numbers are accurate and I tend to doubt they are. (measuring a pH over 10 isn't an option on any test kits I have seen). I would turn off the chlorine generator for now. You have plenty of chlorine in the water and you say it's clear.

I would add baking soda (yes, arm and hammer) slowly through the skimmer. Retest an hour later and continue to adjust until your TA is up to 60 at least.

Now test pH and start to adjust using muriatic acid. This is also going to lower TA so go slowly, retesting after each addition.

Without a good test kits (something like the Taylor K-2006) testing your water is a bit of a crap shoot. I don't like to adjust my water unless I'm sure I am getting accurate readings.

You certainly want the TA up if it's really at 0 and you want the pH down in the 7.5 range.



Lynn 158 wrote:I got a different testing system at the local pool store, they do not carry salt water testing strips or systems but at least I did get a better reading than I got from my old strips. I live in a very small rural town and I don't know of but one other person here that has a salt water pool. The company that installed my pool are out of business. The numbers are:

PH over 10

Free Chlorine over 12

Alkalinity is 0

Stabilizer is 0.

My pool is an indoor pool so it doesn't get direct sunlight. It has a vinyl liner. The water is very clear but in just the past few days all of the PH, Chlorine and Alk
have changed dramatically. No one uses the pool but me and I have not shocked the pool or added salt this year. The back wash water is clear.

Thanks for your help.
Lynn
Lynn 158

really are the numbers

Postby Lynn 158 » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 22:49

Yes, it is a salt water chlorine generator. Had to replace the original one last year after 1 1/2 yr use. Could the generator be the problem for the spike in chlorine?

Borrowed a different brand test kit (still strips) and the numbers are only slightly different than previous.

PH registered 9.4
Free Chlorine registered over 10
Alkalinity is 0

I will turn off the generator and follow your recommendations. When I get to civilization I will go to a real pool store and get a Taylor K-2006.

How do I add the muriatic acid? In the skimmer as well?

Thanks for your help.
Guest

Re: really are the numbers

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 03:33

If you have no other source of chlorine then it has to be coming from the generator. With your pool being inside the sun doesn't break down the chlorine and if you have no algae there is little that will use up the chlorine.

NO on the muriatic acid. NOT into the skimmer. The pH is very low and can damage your pool equipment. You add it slowly in front of a return line while the system is running. In the deep end if possible. Be careful with it as the fumes alone are pretty nasty.

Lynn 158 wrote:Yes, it is a salt water chlorine generator. Had to replace the original one last year after 1 1/2 yr use. Could the generator be the problem for the spike in chlorine?

Borrowed a different brand test kit (still strips) and the numbers are only slightly different than previous.

PH registered 9.4
Free Chlorine registered over 10
Alkalinity is 0

I will turn off the generator and follow your recommendations. When I get to civilization I will go to a real pool store and get a Taylor K-2006.

How do I add the muriatic acid? In the skimmer as well?

Thanks for your help.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests