Help with DE?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
kim0nster

Help with DE?

Postby kim0nster » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 21:38

A few weeks ago my aunt and I tryed to clean the DE grids, and noticed some tears. We went to Lelies, bought new grids, and reassembled the filter.
We made certain that we had put the grids back in right.

At first, when I put DE into the filter it shot back into the pool. So I let it settle and vacuumed it all up. Which solved that problem (kind of!)

Now when I turn the filter on, it shoots a small amount of DE back into the pool. Along with leaf debris.

Should I have precoated the grids with DE? Any ideas? Please Help!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Re: Help with DE?

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:56

What brand of filter, including model, is it?

If the grids are in there correctly DE should not pass back into the pool. Sometimes the grids don't seat fully into the manifold and DE can get through.

Take apart the filter and look for any obvious points where the DE is getting through.

kim0nster wrote:A few weeks ago my aunt and I tryed to clean the DE grids, and noticed some tears. We went to Lelies, bought new grids, and reassembled the filter.
We made certain that we had put the grids back in right.

At first, when I put DE into the filter it shot back into the pool. So I let it settle and vacuumed it all up. Which solved that problem (kind of!)

Now when I turn the filter on, it shoots a small amount of DE back into the pool. Along with leaf debris.

Should I have precoated the grids with DE? Any ideas? Please Help!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!!
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 14:47

Also inspect manifold that grids go into for cracks & if you have a seperation tank that catches DE when backwashing make sure it's empty & the bag is in good shape.
kim0nster

Postby kim0nster » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 13:26

Where exactly is the backwash suppose to go? When I turn the backwash setting on, it backwashes into the pool

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 17:13

Backwashing should send the dirty water away from the pool either through a pipe or hose. Sometimes a separation tank is used and the used DE goes there and traps it and clean water is returned to the pool.

If you're able, take some pics of your setup and it will be easier to advise.

kim0nster wrote:

Where exactly is the backwash suppose to go? When I turn the backwash setting on, it backwashes into the pool
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 17:25

some systems have a seperation tank with a bag in it that catches DE when backwashing. These sit next to the filter & is emptied when done.

some just empty into garden area that filter is in or around.

others are piped into sewer line.

what type of filter do you have?
kim0nster

Postby kim0nster » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 20:42

so with the backwash setting, I wouldnt need to attach a hose?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 13:55

so with the backwash setting, I wouldnt need to attach a hose?

yes you can add the blue backwash hose so you can direct the DE discharge when backwashing where ever you normally do.

still the question what type of filter do you have? does it have a multiport valve? push & pull valve? side pull at bottom of filter?

Multiport valves have spider gaskets inside that can go bad & leak & not hard to replace.

Push-pull valves have o-rings that can go bad & leak, etc.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”