Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Foxy
I'm new here
I'm new here

White "calcium" build up

Postby Foxy » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:20

Help! I have a fibreglass inground pool that has a a white coating of what I assume to be calcium, caused by the hard water in this part of southern spain. I have drained the pool and attempted to remove the coating with household cleaning products. I have managed to scrub away a tiny area of the coating to reveal the original blue floor but it took several minutes to complete a patch 6 inches square !

Is it possible to clean the cal off using some sort of acid wash without damaging the fibreglass ?

The pool is 5 years old I have owned it for 9 months. :?

Charles

Pool calcium Stain

Postby Charles » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:50

I have had more or less the same problem with my pool in Malta. My pool is tiled with glass tiles.

What I had to do is to clean the surface with acid. It is health hazardous job but that was the only way I could find to remove it. The process which I found to work most effectively is to whitewash the area with pure acid, leave it for 8/10 mins to work out, scrub the area again with acid and then rinse with water. I know that I must have done some harm to the grouting but that was the only system which I found could do the job.

Later a friend of mine who had the same problem told me that he removed the calcium stain on his glass pool tiles by sanding it down with a circular wire brush in an elecric drill. Quite a job too!!

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”