powdery dust substance settled on bottom

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
mspool

powdery dust substance settled on bottom

Postby mspool » Tue 09 May, 2006 08:33

I have a powdery dusty substance that settles on the bottom of the pool and on the steps and all horizontal ledges in the pool. when I vacuum it that just stirs it up. and also you can see the clouds of dust coming out of the jets when I vacuum. whatever it is, it does not seem to be filtering out. my levels are all within the ok range. is this a by product of the chlorine. i use granular chlorine 2-3lbs, soda ash 2 lbs, algaecide 6oz, and pool perfect 2 cupfuls, - once a week and chlorine tablets as needed in the tube that releases it slowly.

Terry.Gear

Re: powdery dust substance settled on bottom

Postby Terry.Gear » Mon 22 May, 2006 09:08

mspool wrote:I have a powdery dusty substance that settles on the bottom of the pool and on the steps and all horizontal ledges in the pool. when I vacuum it that just stirs it up. and also you can see the clouds of dust coming out of the jets when I vacuum. whatever it is, it does not seem to be filtering out. my levels are all within the ok range. is this a by product of the chlorine. i use granular chlorine 2-3lbs, soda ash 2 lbs, algaecide 6oz, and pool perfect 2 cupfuls, - once a week and chlorine tablets as needed in the tube that releases it slowly.
if you solve this problem let me know tgearh@earthlink.net
Terry.Gear

Postby Terry.Gear » Mon 22 May, 2006 09:10

Terry.Gear wrote:
mspool wrote:I have a powdery dusty substance that settles on the bottom of the pool and on the steps and all horizontal ledges in the pool. when I vacuum it that just stirs it up. and also you can see the clouds of dust coming out of the jets when I vacuum. whatever it is, it does not seem to be filtering out. my levels are all within the ok range. is this a by product of the chlorine. i use granular chlorine 2-3lbs, soda ash 2 lbs, algaecide 6oz, and pool perfect 2 cupfuls, - once a week and chlorine tablets as needed in the tube that releases it slowly.
if you solve this problem let me know I have the same problemtgearh@earthlink.net
Terry.Gear

Postby Terry.Gear » Mon 22 May, 2006 09:11

Terry.Gear wrote:
Terry.Gear wrote:
if you solve this problem let me know I have the same problem . tgearh@earthlink.net
slfairless

Postby slfairless » Tue 23 May, 2006 10:57

I've had that same problem and spent half of my summer fighting with it. I believe it was dead algae that settled to the bottom of the pool after it was killed by a shock treatment. It's such a fine substance (like powder) that it cycles through the filter system and right back into the pool.

Trun off the pump and let the water settle.
Push all the dead algae to one corner of the pool and let the water settle.
Vacuum all the dead algae on waste to remove it from the pool and prevent it from entering back into the filter.

You might have to do this more then once - until all dead algae is clear from the pool and filter system.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”