Viking Pool - Rough surface

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby Zeppelin_Heaven » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 11:22

There was a lot of dirt at the bottom of the pool. I vacuumed the dirt that had accumulated in the pool and it seems the grains of dirt is now stuck to the surface making it feel like sandpaper.

What can I do about this? The hardness of the pool is around 300ppm. I have brushed with a medium to hard intensity and it doesn't seem to be getting rid of the grit. I am afraid of using the brush at a continuous hard pace, scrubbing and scratching the surface unnecessarily.
Do I just continue scrubbing harder or is there a chemical that will detach the grit of dirt from the surface of the pool?

It's really annoying because my ceramic fiberglass pool always felt butter smooth. :(

Carmen R

Postby Carmen R » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 17:58

I have the same problem with my viking pool. did you every get any answers?
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby wboss71 » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:28

Hello There,

I have seen this exact problem many times. Rather than repeat it all I would suggest looking at two websites. The first is If you look under the about stains/calcium tab you will see a lot on information on what is causing the bottom of your pool to look and be that way. There is a picture in the gallery that shows the exact issue you have described. After that, has some information on how to get rid of it.

Feel free to ask me any other questions

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”