added ph+ and alkalinity anhd now have turquoise/black spots

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
krista

Postby krista » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 16:31

ph was low as was alk - added 12 lbs of ph+ and 30 lbs of alk as per pool place. Now have tuquoise patches that disolve or d9isperse when brushed and black unmovable spots in the deep end! Help

Re: added ph+ and alkalinity anhd now have turquoise/black s

Postby Guest » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 19:00

Vinyl lined pool? The turquoise color suggests dissolved copper. With a low pH the water will attack metals in the water or in the pool system. If you have a pool heater the low pH will attack the heat exchanger.

When you raised the pH and TA the dissolved copper falls out of the water.

How low was your pH and for how long? Where is your pH and TA now?

krista wrote:ph was low as was alk - added 12 lbs of ph+ and 30 lbs of alk as per pool place. Now have tuquoise patches that disolve or d9isperse when brushed and black unmovable spots in the deep end! Help
krista

Postby krista » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 19:30

ph was probally low for a while - I am not the best at checking it - my pool was clean so, I thought it was fine. I do have a heater - someone told me to shock the pool, so I did. The turquoise is beginning to disappear, but there are unscrubbable black stains on the bottom of the deep end along the edges and corners. Is that black algea? How do I treat that with a vinyl liner? Why did this just appear after adding ph+ and alk?

Postby Guest » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 22:02

The black stains may also be from copper. If you can't scrap it off with a fingernail it probably isn't black algae. With the pH low, metals stay in solution. Raising pH, especially quickly, release metals from solution and they show up as stains.

A sequestering agent is used when you know you have metals in the water. This prevents the metals from coming out of solution.

To remove the black try placing a vitamin C tablet on the stain and hold it there for a minute. If it lifts the stain and you don't have many spots, continue on with the tablets. For more extensive staining you will need another approach.

Hope this helps. I'll check back to see how you're doing.

krista wrote:ph was probally low for a while - I am not the best at checking it - my pool was clean so, I thought it was fine. I do have a heater - someone told me to shock the pool, so I did. The turquoise is beginning to disappear, but there are unscrubbable black stains on the bottom of the deep end along the edges and corners. Is that black algea? How do I treat that with a vinyl liner? Why did this just appear after adding ph+ and alk?
krista

Postby krista » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 07:06

The stains are extensive and large and 8ft down - I can't get down there. When scrubbing with a brush, is lightens slightly, but it is difficult. Any other suggestions since I can't get down to hold a vitamin c table on there.

Anonymous wrote:The black stains may also be from copper. If you can't scrap it off with a fingernail it probably isn't black algae. With the pH low, metals stay in solution. Raising pH, especially quickly, release metals from solution and they show up as stains.

A sequestering agent is used when you know you have metals in the water. This prevents the metals from coming out of solution.

To remove the black try placing a vitamin C tablet on the stain and hold it there for a minute. If it lifts the stain and you don't have many spots, continue on with the tablets. For more extensive staining you will need another approach.

Hope this helps. I'll check back to see how you're doing.

krista wrote:ph was probally low for a while - I am not the best at checking it - my pool was clean so, I thought it was fine. I do have a heater - someone told me to shock the pool, so I did. The turquoise is beginning to disappear, but there are unscrubbable black stains on the bottom of the deep end along the edges and corners. Is that black algea? How do I treat that with a vinyl liner? Why did this just appear after adding ph+ and alk?
krista

Postby krista » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 07:28

just was out there, turquoise is back - and there is a film on top of the pool - black is still there covering at least helf of the deep end :( I am so at a loss. Help

Postby Guest » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 07:42

It's important right now to track your pH. I would try to keep it at about 7.2. If it gets high you'll get more metal staining. If it gets down below 7 you'll dissolve more metals into the water.

I would pick up a sequestering agent from the pool store. This will hold the metals in solution and prevent staining. Most sequestering agent also lift stains. Black copper stains (if that is what you have) can be tough to get out.

There are lots of products on the market that will sequester metals and lift stains. As I said, right now keeping the pH in line is the most important thing.

If you have trouble testing pH and TA, bring a water sample to the store and have them test for you.

What type of chlorine are you using in the pool?

krista wrote:just was out there, turquoise is back - and there is a film on top of the pool - black is still there covering at least helf of the deep end :( I am so at a loss. Help

Postby Guest » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 08:51

I am bringing a sample to the store shortly. Should I pick up something for black algae too, just in case that staining is black algae or just treat it as a metal stain for now? How do I get rid of all of the turquoise stuff.

My clorine is the pool frog clorinator.

Anonymous wrote:It's important right now to track your pH. I would try to keep it at about 7.2. If it gets high you'll get more metal staining. If it gets down below 7 you'll dissolve more metals into the water.

I would pick up a sequestering agent from the pool store. This will hold the metals in solution and prevent staining. Most sequestering agent also lift stains. Black copper stains (if that is what you have) can be tough to get out.

There are lots of products on the market that will sequester metals and lift stains. As I said, right now keeping the pH in line is the most important thing.

If you have trouble testing pH and TA, bring a water sample to the store and have them test for you.

What type of chlorine are you using in the pool?

krista wrote:just was out there, turquoise is back - and there is a film on top of the pool - black is still there covering at least helf of the deep end :( I am so at a loss. Help
krista

Postby krista » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:50

ph is now 7.4 and TA is 160

I have metal out, should I wait till sundown to add it?

Postby Guest » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 18:27

No need to wait.

krista wrote:ph is now 7.4 and TA is 160

krista

Postby krista » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 19:58

How long will I need to wait to see any change in those black spots? It the pool swimmable?

Anonymous wrote:No need to wait.

krista wrote:ph is now 7.4 and TA is 160

Postby Guest » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 21:59

I missed this post for some reason. This explains some things.

I've never used a pool frog chlorinator but have read up on them. Sounds like a good system until you realize what it does to the pool over time. I think you are now seeing what it can do.

It has 2 components: the mineral pac (zinc, calcium, silver and COPPER). These are supposed to dissolve slowly into the pool. Silver and copper are known algaecides. Problems happen over time as the levels of these minerals go up or if they are dissolved quickly.

The other component is the tri chlor pac. This form of chlorine is very acidic and contains CYA. In the right doses this is fine. Over time the CYA builds up to levels making the pool very tough to manage. Being acidic it will drive the pH and TA down.

What I guess happened with you is the water got acidic (low pH) from the tabs and dissolved the mineral pac too quickly and you got your stains. The low pH may have also hit the heater's heat exchanger which is normally copper.

Probably more than you want to know and you just want it clear so you can swim. I wanted to give you my opinion and the reasons why.

I can't tell you if you can swim or not without seeing the pool.

To get rid of the green, vacuum to waste if possible. Vacuum slowly so you don't stir it up. If you can't vacuum to waste you'll have to clean the filter often to get it out before it causes problems there.

Take an old sock or nylon, crush up a few vitamin C tablets and put in sock. Figure a way to attach the sock to your pool pole and then hold it on top of the black stain for a few minutes. If the stain lifts it's a metal stain.

If you are able to do that I can tell you the type of treatment to do to get rid of the black. If it's black algae, that would be completely different.

My advice on the pool frog is stop using it. That is my own opinion and not everyone would agree but it is not something I would use in my own pool. I do use tri chlor tabs but I monitor the CYA and pH levels very closely.

Ok, fingers are tired, will respond to further questions etc.

Anonymous wrote:I am bringing a sample to the store shortly. Should I pick up something for black algae too, just in case that staining is black algae or just treat it as a metal stain for now? How do I get rid of all of the turquoise stuff.

My clorine is the pool frog clorinator.

krista

Postby krista » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 20:02

tried the vitamin c thing - and no progress. Just treating with one more sequestering agent. Pool is cloudy and black floor is not getting better.:(
pool user

Postby pool user » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 17:48

see me all i do is when my pool gets green i shock then vacuume then baam :thumbup: like that me and my kids are in and swimming again :D

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”