I am a new pool owner alkalinity level is at 400

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
babynoel
I'm new here
I'm new here

I am a new pool owner alkalinity level is at 400

Postby babynoel » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 20:47

the alkalinity in our pool is at 400 and ph and chlorine are also very high. I was told to put muratic acid to drop the levels but it doesnt seem to be working. What can i do!

manio

Postby manio » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 22:24

It does not sound like a pool professional told you to add muriatic acid and that all would be well because if they were your problem would be solved. Here are my suggestions. Stop the chlorine additions to get your levels down. Chlorine can easily be added accordingly at later times. Take a sample of your pool water (750ml) to your local pool store to get it tested and follow their directions on how to get your alkalinity and Ph to acceptable levels. Doing so will give you an idea of how to add chemicals on your own at later times if need be.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 23:51

You lower Total Alkalinity (TA) by following the procedure in this post which entails a combination of aeration with acid addition at lower pH. However, I would be very surprised if your TA were really 400 ppm. Did you add a whole lot of Alkalinity Up or baking soda? Even well water doesn't usually have that high a TA level.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”