bleach

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chrys-may

bleach

Postby chrys-may » Sat 09 Aug, 2008 20:56

Can you use the bleach method in an above ground pool? How much do you use? I ha ve about 18,000 gallons of water. How long before you can swim?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bleach

Postby chem geek » Sun 10 Aug, 2008 00:02

Yes you can, but you should add it (or any concentrated chemical, for that matter) slowly over a return flow at the deep end with the pump running. Then, lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you have added it to ensure thorough mixing. Depending on your circulation in the pool, if you are just adding regular amounts of chlorine and not shocking the pool then you can go in after just a few minutes -- say 10 minutes to be on the safer side. The chlorine mixes rather quickly when the pump is running. You could even test it with a good Taylor K-2006 or TF100 test kit if you need assurance.

As for quantities, you can use The Pool Calculator and you can read more about how to maintain a pool at Pool School.

Richard
chrys_may

still green can low TA cause it

Postby chrys_may » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 15:15

I have been bleaching and pumping and scrubbing for 3 days now and no change. My pool doesn't feel slimy, no smell and when I backwash it is clear. I tested my chemicals and my TA is very low. Can this cause the green water?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

still green can low TA cause it

Postby chem geek » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 01:44

If the water is a clear green, then it could be copper and you could have the water tested for metals at a pool store. If instead it's a cloudy green or looks like algae, then you should have your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level tested. If it's high, especially above 80 ppm, you should dilute the water to lower it. Otherwise, it will take too much chlorine to clear your pool.

Since your TA is low, I suspect you have been using Trichlor tabs since they are very acidic and over time will lower the TA as well as the pH (you didn't mention your pH number). If you've been using Trichlor, then your CYA level may be high.

You should get yourself a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 test kit from tftestkits.com here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".
chrys-may

still green

Postby chrys-may » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:33

Ok, all of my chemical levels are great... I took a large sample to my pool supply store. I put 8 lbs of shock in, ran the pump and flocked it. I am still green, nothing dropped to the bottom when I flocked... What is going on with my pool, I have never had problems (7 years). Do I need to drain and start over?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bleach

Postby chem geek » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 14:50

Did you actually get some real measurements from the pool store? They will say that a CYA of 100 ppm or even more is "all right" when that's really too high to deal with. Again, you should test with your own good test kit.

If the water is clear green and not a cloudy green or looking like algae, then does the water turn more clear when the pH is lowered? If so, then it's probably copper and you can lower the pH (not lower than 7.0, however), add metal sequestrant, then slowly raise the pH back up. However, the only way to really remove the metal is drain/refill -- the sequestrant slowly breaks down so you'd have to keep adding it regularly.
moucherons
I'm new here
I'm new here

High TA 180ppm cloudy water 7.2 PH What can I do?

Postby moucherons » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 00:31

Chem geek, I need some help I am running the filter for 6 hours tonigth on a 25000 gal pool. The water is cloudy, TA 180ppm, PH 7.2 just cleaned filter. Any suggestions?

I have been adding Muriatic acid for a week now at a rate of 1 quart per day.
Please help

chem geek wrote:If the water is a clear green, then it could be copper and you could have the water tested for metals at a pool store. If instead it's a cloudy green or looks like algae, then you should have your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level tested. If it's high, especially above 80 ppm, you should dilute the water to lower it. Otherwise, it will take too much chlorine to clear your pool.

Since your TA is low, I suspect you have been using Trichlor tabs since they are very acidic and over time will lower the TA as well as the pH (you didn't mention your pH number). If you've been using Trichlor, then your CYA level may be high.

You should get yourself a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 test kit from tftestkits.com here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

bleach

Postby Guest » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 09:56

How much Bleach do I need to add to my 18,000 above ground pool at one time?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

bleach

Postby chem geek » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 22:00

You can use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosing.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”