Test results

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
zz28zz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Test results

Postby zz28zz » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 23:10

Just moved into new house with a pool. It's my first pool so I'm waaay down on the learning curve. The pool is an odd shaped plaster type with a spa that overflows into pool. Water looks very clear. I've estimated the capacity at approx 23K gallons. I took a water sample to my local pool store and had it tested. Here's the results:
Free chlorine= 1 ppm.
Total chlorine= 1 ppm.
Combined chlorine= 0.0 ppm.
pH= 8.4
Hardness= 300 ppm
Alkalinity= 325 ppm.
Cyanuric Acid= 100 ppm
Total dissolved solids= 1700 ppm.

I know ultimately I will need to drain 2/3 to 3/4 of the pool and refill it to address the TDS and cyanuric levels, but I won't be able to do that for a few weeks.

I had told them the pool was 15k gallons (later I realized it's bigger).
Their print out said to add 4 gallons, 6 pints,6 oz Muratic acid, so I bought 4 gallons. Per their instructions, I poured in 1 gallon yesterday , and poured in another gallon today with pump running continously.

I also have small amounts of what I believe is algie. Small light brown spots on the bottom that move easily when touched. Looks a lot like dirt. The pool store guy said to shock pool on Sat and I should be ok on Sunday.

Should I continue with my current plan? I really want to use the pool on Sunday.

Thx in adv!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”