Ongoing green algae problem

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Paula

Postby Paula » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:19

I am in Fresno, CA and have a 30,000gal inground pool. The problem is I can't maintain any kind of chlorine level.
There is yellowish-green algae, so I get the Ph to the correct level and add chlorine. In the last 7 days we have added 4 gallons of liquid chlorine and today the chlorine level is at 0!! Hence, the algae is starting to show again. :?
Yesterday I bought some Power Powder from Leslies and intended to put 2lbs in this morning but on testing with the little test strips I have a high Alkalinity reading of 180ppm.
Here are the test results from the strip:
CYA- 100
TA - 180
pH - 7.8
Free Chlorine - 0
What should my plan of attack be? Clean the DE filter first? Get the TA down? Get the pH lowered? Load with chlorine to kill the algae and then start with the filter????? Please Help!!!!!! :roll:

Re: Ongoing green algae problem

Postby Guest » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:56

I'm not sure I would trust the readings from test strips. They aren't real accurate. I would get your water tested at the pool store so you know better what steps to take.

If your CYA is really 100 then that would be where to start (lowering it). At that high of a level you'll be fighting algae all the time. So get an accurate test first and then you'll know if you need to drain some water to get the CYA lower.

Paula wrote:I am in Fresno, CA and have a 30,000gal inground pool. The problem is I can't maintain any kind of chlorine level.
There is yellowish-green algae, so I get the Ph to the correct level and add chlorine. In the last 7 days we have added 4 gallons of liquid chlorine and today the chlorine level is at 0!! Hence, the algae is starting to show again. :?
Yesterday I bought some Power Powder from Leslies and intended to put 2lbs in this morning but on testing with the little test strips I have a high Alkalinity reading of 180ppm.
Here are the test results from the strip:
CYA- 100
TA - 180
pH - 7.8
Free Chlorine - 0
What should my plan of attack be? Clean the DE filter first? Get the TA down? Get the pH lowered? Load with chlorine to kill the algae and then start with the filter????? Please Help!!!!!! :roll:
Paula

Postby Paula » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 17:13

OK, I will do that. Thank-you for your reply.

Paula

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”