the foam that comes streaming out of the filter

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

the foam that comes streaming out of the filter

Postby pool_idiot » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 15:47

I am the pool idiot, and I know it. :wink:

I went away and asked a neighbour to take care our 18' round above ground pool. Oops, he forgot. :( Came back and it was full of algae. Not a problem, I know how to fix it. I got out with my mostly full jug of algaecide to the pool, neighbour came over, as we talk I put in some algaecide. Literally, we had an emergency right in front of the house at the moment and we went running out. About 30 minutes later, I return to the pool and thought "Hmm, did I put anything in?" I asked the neighbour (mistake #2) who said "No, we were talking remember?" and in went another dose of algaecide.

Within 24 hours I realised what I had done. D'OH!

Since then, I've tried cleaning it (and it is filtered 24/7) and I've used a mild shock treatment called "Pool Bright" by Pool Care. Although my pool is about 18,000 L of water, I have only added 300g (as per instructions for 10,000 L of water) so as not to be an idiot, yet once more.

Now, I know I should sit and wait and see what happens but herein lies my dilemma...every time I turn off the filter to replace the cartridge (dutifully doing so every 48-72 hours as needed) and plug it back in again, a large amount of foamy water comes spewing out into the water. It leaves a soapy-like film for about an hour, and then just makes the water bubbly at the filter out-put. We've cleaned out the entire filter itself but not the hoses, it's a bit difficult. We're not in a position to drain and refill any or part of the pool (we live in an area that only allows a set amount of water per household; we drain that sucker and none of us are taking showers until Christmas :wink: )

My pool is cloudy, foamy, yucky and not swimmable. I hate to have that thing defeat me. What is my next step? And no, I don't have numbers to show what my pool chemistry is at.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”