Steel walls vs Concrete walls for a vinyl lined pool?

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Thu 11 May, 2006 12:43

We are considering a vinyl lined pool, and we are trying to decide between contractors. Both have good and bad points, but one uses steel walls and the other uses concrete walls. Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of the two would be appreciated....

Thanks

Wondering the same...

Postby Wondering the same... » Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:05

I realize that your post is almost 2 years old but this is exactly the same question I have. What did you decide on and, if you had it to do again, would you?

Postby Guest » Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:19

I would choose concrete. Steel can corrode over time while concrete won't.

That said, perhaps the deciding factor should be based on:
* age of the company
* product warranty
* BBB report and rating
*first hand recent references
Poolay

Postby Poolay » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:17

I would consider having the option of saltwater an advantage of choosing concrete over steel.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:57

Concrete walls? Fiberglass or steel wall panels and a concrete floor maybe, but I haven't see a newly built pool with concrete walls. Why not just plaster it at that point and forget the liner?
BigLeefromSC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby BigLeefromSC » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 20:18

I have had a steel walled pool for ten years now with no troubles at all. The option was there when we purchased about concrete or steel also, we went with steel because it was about $5K less, which we used that money for more concrete decking. I did research on both, and really couldn't find any real differences in construction and longevity, except for cost. Also, salt water over chlorine is a must, even though mine is chlorine. Salt water is far superior.

Postby Guest » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 00:49

salt water over chlorine is a must

Salt water pools are still chlorine pools. The difference is the chlorine is produced at the pool instead of being added.

SWG=chlorine :wink:
Pool lady

Postby Pool lady » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 20:07

We own a pool company. Let me give some thoughts about steel over concrete walls. First, our steel walls come with a lifetime warranty, concrete walls do not. The concrete company who makes the concrete will not warranty anything, so you are stuck with the builders warranty. Make sure to go with someone who has been around a while. Our steel walls are backed by a company that has been making steel walls for over 50 years. We have replaced liners in concrete wall pools, and are amazed at the cracks(concrete cracks, it's a fact) in behind the liners. When you see a steel wall pool that has rusted, the homeowner hasn't kept up with his water chemistry, (ph and alkaliinity levels are crucial) or another common thing I see is the pool was drained, the liner tore, and then left for months or years. Just be careful, do your homework, and NEVER go with the cheapest pool builder. Get a couple of bids. Ask lots of questions. Good luck!
johnly99

Postby johnly99 » Fri 07 Sep, 2012 08:18

I would like to know if it is necessary to have metal/concrete walls or can i just have a sand floor and put the lining straight in over the dug pool? surely the mud walls and pressure of the water will be strong enough to keep it stable.

thanks in advance
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 18:39

I have a ton of pictures I have taken from steel wall pools that shift and/or collapse each year. Even with a full concrete collar poured around the base I have seen plenty shift. On the other hand I have never in my 17 years in the business even heard of a concrete wall vinyl pool collapsing. I replace a number of steel walled pools each year because they have collapsed or shifted significantly. I can give you 5 phone numbers of customers from right now who have steel walled pools that need replacing or major repairs. Every year we repair a good number of these.

I would even take a cinder block walled pool over a steel walled pool. I have worked on a number of them that are very old with no issues at all.
A steel walled pool is simply not a permanent structure while a concrete walled pool is. I also have never come across a concrete walled pool with major cracks in it, and even if one did crack it has a foam padding and a liner over it. It is not like its a gunite pool that will leak if it cracks. I spent over $100,000 on forms and a form truck for a reason. Concrete walled pools cost more for a reason. Because they are much better. The concrete itself costs half what the steel wall kit costs.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Wed 26 Mar, 2014 20:17

I posted a few of the steel wall failures I've come across recently. I would say after 10 years at least 20% of steel wall pools have some type of wall movement. Possibly more. For me when I see a steel wall that we are renovating I expect them to be out of level, out of square, not straight. They are simply not a permanent structure

http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/patri ... t=3&page=1

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”