Shock turns water green

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
ThreeFillyz

Shock turns water green

Postby ThreeFillyz » Fri 12 May, 2006 19:39

My pool was crystal clear with only a bit of residual algae on the sides/bottom. The cholrine level very low and so shocked -- it immediately turned murky green. Any advise? I don't think this is normal as its never happened before. My PH levels were low normal at the time.


taradacdale

Same Problem

Postby taradacdale » Sun 28 May, 2006 07:08

I just had the same thing happen to our pool yesterday. It also smelled funny. I am hoping if I let it sit for a day or so it will clear up.
LauraLee

Postby LauraLee » Fri 09 Jun, 2006 08:41

I was told by my pool company that anytime you get green water after adding chlorine that means you have iron or other heavy metals in your water. You have to treat the iron with a specific product to remove it or you can get permanent staining on your pool surface.
Guest

Re: Shock turns water green

Postby Guest » Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:35

ThreeFillyz wrote:My pool was crystal clear with only a bit of residual algae on the sides/bottom. The cholrine level very low and so shocked -- it immediately turned murky green. Any advise? I don't think this is normal as its never happened before. My PH levels were low normal at the time.
:o
the advice is right on for metals in your pool. read and follow all label directions on the remover you choose, overdosing can cause other problems. BE sure to let the water circulate for at least 24 hour before adding chlorine. IF you have a cartridge filter be diligent on taking it out and rinsing it off at least 4-8 times daily to keep the color from reentering the pool, until you have removed the metals.
ktressler

Shock turns water Green

Postby ktressler » Sat 21 Apr, 2007 16:10

I recently had a new pool heater installed, and since then I have been having the same problem, the water turns green the moment I put the chlorine in. Is there a specific product that will eliminate the iron or metals from the water ?

Thanks
Guest

Re: Shock turns water green

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Apr, 2007 13:25

ThreeFillyz wrote:My pool was crystal clear with only a bit of residual algae on the sides/bottom. The cholrine level very low and so shocked -- it immediately turned murky green. Any advise? I don't think this is normal as its never happened before. My PH levels were low normal at the time.


Right after I dumped shock into the pool it turned more green then before. I think the big this is that it shows that the shock was working as it should. Killed off the crude in the pool and it starts to float around which makes it more green. You probably also got more crude floating on the top. Keep the filter running 24 hours and it will start to clear up as the cholrine works to kill/clean things off.
Cloudy625

Postby Cloudy625 » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 21:18

I had the same thing happen right before my eyes. Shocked my pool and it immediately turned green and kind of hazy/cloudy. Just put the pool up (at that time) about 1.5 weeks ago. I do believe I have some sort of a metal problem even after putting in 2 bottles of metal-out (on different days.) I have a 24x4x4 above ground metal framed pool. How much metal remover is appropriate? It's hard to find specific information on this. I think mine is growing worse by the minute because I vacuumed today for several hours and not having the filter pump going (due to the vacuuming) has made my life much worse. I can actually see the rusty color on top. Long story......I've upped pH, lowered pH, had to add cal hardner, algaecide, metal out and 2x stabilizer. It's crazy. Every time I get one thing right, something else goes wrong. Exasperated!
Anybody been through this? HELP!
Cloudy625

Postby Cloudy625 » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 21:22

I meant to add that I have a saltwater generator also. It appears to be working fine (the digital readout always says it's fine). BUT, I tested my water and my total chlorine is ok, but my free chlorine is extremely high. How can my pool be green, cloudy and also kind of browinsh all at the same time? This is bizarre. I have read that if your free chlorine is more than your total, then you have to shock. Well, I put in 7 gallons of bleach and I'm still with the same problem. What in the world? I just added more stablizer because I checked it again and it's low. I probably already have about 300$ in chemicals and this pool hasn't even been up a month yet (about 3 weeks). Good grief!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun 13 May, 2007 23:26

Postby Buggsw » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:32

Free chlorine cannot possibly be higher than your Total Chlorine.

Total chlorine = Free Chlorine + Combined Chlorine/Chloramines (Bad stuff)

The goal is to have 0 Combined Chlorine/Chloramines.

Free Chlorine is the good stuff.
Guest

Postby Guest » Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:37

Natural Chemistry- Stain Free and Metal Free
...

Shock turns water green

Postby ... » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 21:36

If you have metals in your water it depends on the chemical remover you have how long to wait before shocking. Some take 24-48 hours, and some take up to a week. Also, when you do have metals in your pool, ou need to clean your filter as well. You could use a chemical such as *sparkle up* (from Bioguard) which helps clean the filter.

If people are complaining that their pool turns brown/green/red/yellow when they put shock in and then you take it to the pool store and they test for metals, many a time the test will result in negative metals because the metals have already had a reaction with the chlorine and won't register. Another issue is everytime it rains or you add new water to the pool you should put in some more pool magnet, super erase, metal out, or whatever you use.
PoolTyme

Shock turns water green

Postby PoolTyme » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 09:51

We put in shock and the balance pak 100 (and all the other products recommended to open our pool) and then our turned pool (green) and steps turned (yellow/brown) adding additional shock only made it worse. The sides were not slimy and the steps could not be cleaned with ANYTHING! I found a link online that said to put ascorbic acid (Vitamin C powder) into the pool. We were having a pool party and so I went to the local vitamin store bought the powder, and amazing right before our eyes our pool turned back to crystal clear!! We will also follow up with the metal out, but the vitamin C was INSTANT. To test if this is your problem hold Vitamin C on your steps if the color changes than that is your problem. :)
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 21:27
Location: San Rafael, California

Shock turns water green

Postby chem geek » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 13:15

The link you are referring to may be Metals in the Water and Metal Stains.
Marylandhottubpoolandsparepair

Chemical Rollercoaster

Postby Marylandhottubpoolandsparepair » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 05:26

Cloudy625 wrote:I had the same thing happen right before my eyes. Shocked my pool and it immediately turned green and kind of hazy/cloudy. Just put the pool up (at that time) about 1.5 weeks ago. I do believe I have some sort of a metal problem even after putting in 2 bottles of metal-out (on different days.) I have a 24x4x4 above ground metal framed pool. How much metal remover is appropriate? It's hard to find specific information on this. I think mine is growing worse by the minute because I vacuumed today for several hours and not having the filter pump going (due to the vacuuming) has made my life much worse. I can actually see the rusty color on top. Long story......I've upped pH, lowered pH, had to add cal hardner, algaecide, metal out and 2x stabilizer. It's crazy. Every time I get one thing right, something else goes wrong. Exasperated!
Anybody been through this? HELP!


Your on a chemically induced rollercoaster. Drain pool and start with good water. Not well water. Treat with Tri Chlor only and forget all the bouncing. Maryland.
harleydog

Shock turns water green

Postby harleydog » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 16:36

I have had the same problem and am sick and tired of dumping chemicals! I tried the vitaminc c powder it seems to have worked a little but I only had a 8oz. bottler per a pool of 18 x 48. Can't seem to find it around here so gonna order online. Can you tell me how much of that you put in your pool??
Thanks, very frustrated!

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot [Bot] and 3 guests