Red Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
mprince

Red Algae

Postby mprince » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 18:23

I live in Phoenix and was just told my pool has red algae. I don;t see anything red in the pool, it is actually clear. How is this treated if this is the case.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Red Algae

Postby chem geek » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 19:46

Red Algae is also known as Pink Slime and is not really an algae but a bacteria. It reddish/pink and usually near the surface of the water (i.e. at the waterline). If this is what you have, it means that you are not maintaining a high enough Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. You can read more about maintaining proper pool water chemistry here.
NYMIKE

RED Pool algae/Fungus

Postby NYMIKE » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 05:08

I have a red tissue like substance on my pool walls/above ground. It startes out- earlier in the year as white tissue like substance. Any ideas how to handle this problem.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Red Algae

Postby chem geek » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 13:46

A white tissue like substance is probably white water (tissue) mold. Perhaps you also have pink slime that colors it. White water mold is uncommon in chlorinated pools (it's more common in Biguanide pools) unless the Free Chlorine (FC) levels aren't high enough relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.
NYMIKE

White Mold

Postby NYMIKE » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 17:50

Is there any way to treat this mold. How would I go about raising the Free Chlorine Level.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Red Algae

Postby chem geek » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 18:52

You would add unstabilized chlorine, usually chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach. You should check your CYA level and should get yourself a good test kit. Read more at the Pool School.
Andy Costa del sol

Red Algae

Postby Andy Costa del sol » Fri 22 May, 2009 13:25

This winter i have taken over the maintenance of a standard sized indoor pool. It is housed in a conservatory type building and as a result the ambient temperature is very high and the water temp. around 30 plus over the last few months i have had an ongoing battle with what i believe to be red algae. It started as what looked like brick dust in the grout underwater,i treated this with a well known brand of algae killer after trying an unsuccessful chlorine shock. This treatment left the pink slime mentioned on your site. I removed it with a metal brush and vacuumed several times over the next week. The pool seemed ok for 2 weeks and i went on vacation,i have just returned to find the slime again. I have been told the only solution is to dump the pool and wash with a bleach solution,will this work?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”