Pool not working after hurricane

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Houston Pool Owner

Pool not working after hurricane

Postby Houston Pool Owner » Mon 15 Sep, 2008 15:36

We just had a hurricane here in Houston. The power was off, and now the pump comes on, but for some reason the pool lost about one foot of the water level. It is draining out to the street. I am not sure how, but it is losing about an inch every two hours. I am not sure what is going on with the pool. The pool company we use is closed, and will not reopen until they have power. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

ginger

pool losing a lot of water

Postby ginger » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:54

We have a fiberglass pool in Illinois. We went out of town this weekend and everything was fine. We returned on Monday to a pool with a water level that was down 18". We had about 8" of rain over the weekend. We also have a solid pool safty cover which was closed. We drained the water off of the cover, and the water out from the pool (with a sump pump) and started filling the pool. But as we were draining from the sump hole. The water level continued to go down even though we were also filling. Any idea what is wrong?? anything we can do to fix??? We've got a call into the pool guy. Our pool is 3 years old, and we are afraid we might loose it. :( :(
ginger

pool losing a lot of water

Postby ginger » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:55

We have a fiberglass pool in Illinois. We went out of town this weekend and everything was fine. We returned on Monday to a pool with a water level that was down 18". We had about 8" of rain over the weekend. We also have a solid pool safty cover which was closed. We drained the water off of the cover, and the water out from under the pool (with a sump pump) and started filling the pool. But as we were draining from the sump hole. The water level continued to go down even though we were also filling. Any idea what is wrong?? anything we can do to fix??? We've got a call into the pool guy. Our pool is 3 years old, and we are afraid we might loose it. :( :(

Re: Pool not working after hurricane

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 16:21

Is it losing water only when the equipment is running?

Is there a backwash line that runs out to the street?

Houston Pool Owner wrote:We just had a hurricane here in Houston. The power was off, and now the pump comes on, but for some reason the pool lost about one foot of the water level. It is draining out to the street. I am not sure how, but it is losing about an inch every two hours. I am not sure what is going on with the pool. The pool company we use is closed, and will not reopen until they have power. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Re: pool losing a lot of water

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 16:26

If I'm reading this right, you are running the sump pump and the level of the pool is dropping even though you are adding water? Is that right?

I would turn off the sump pump and fill the pool. Run the pool equipment and see what happens to the level.

You want to isolate where the leak is.

ginger wrote:We have a fiberglass pool in Illinois. We went out of town this weekend and everything was fine. We returned on Monday to a pool with a water level that was down 18". We had about 8" of rain over the weekend. We also have a solid pool safty cover which was closed. We drained the water off of the cover, and the water out from under the pool (with a sump pump) and started filling the pool. But as we were draining from the sump hole. The water level continued to go down even though we were also filling. Any idea what is wrong?? anything we can do to fix??? We've got a call into the pool guy. Our pool is 3 years old, and we are afraid we might loose it. :( :(

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”