low pump pressure after filter cleaning

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
elliot43

low pump pressure after filter cleaning

Postby elliot43 » Sat 20 Sep, 2008 17:04

I have an in-ground doughboy pool 15000 gal. After removing and cleaning the DE filter the pump is 5 psi lower than it should be with a clean filter. When i turn the pump on after sitting for a day it pumps alot of air into pool. It will pump plenty of water for about 10 min. then the flow almost stops. I cant find any leaks or anything, i took the filter grids out again didnt see any problems and made sure the gasket was lubed and in place, still have same problem.
can anyone HELP.

Re: low pump pressure after filter cleaning

Postby Guest » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 19:14

When you get a pressure drop it usually means a blockage before the filter. From your description of the system working properly for 10 minutes and then slowing down to almost nothing I would suspect debris in the suction line.

I would check around the pool closely for water to rule out a broken pipe. The air coming out when you first turn on the system suggests a leak somewhere in the system.

When the system is running fine for those 10 minutes is the pressure still low on the filter? When the water flow slows down does the filter pressure drop to zero?

One thing that just came to mind is something in the pump impeller. Debris often gets stuck in there and effects the flow. The impeller is the spinning part that attaches to the pump motor.

elliot43 wrote:I have an in-ground doughboy pool 15000 gal. After removing and cleaning the DE filter the pump is 5 psi lower than it should be with a clean filter. When i turn the pump on after sitting for a day it pumps alot of air into pool. It will pump plenty of water for about 10 min. then the flow almost stops. I cant find any leaks or anything, i took the filter grids out again didnt see any problems and made sure the gasket was lubed and in place, still have same problem.
can anyone HELP.
elliot43

Postby elliot43 » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 21:22

thanx for the reply
the impeller is clear and not broken. the pressure stays the same all the time. still no leaks found

Postby Guest » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 21:24

[quote="elliot43"]thanx for the reply
the impeller is clear and not broken. the pressure stays the same all the time. still no leaks found, i cant figure it out.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”