Low PSI on brand new Hayward filter/pump system....

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jessejane
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low PSI on brand new Hayward filter/pump system....

Postby jessejane » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:15

I am lost.... just purchased a Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge filter and Power Flo LX Pump system. Went out and hooked everything up as directed and can only get 10psi. Then when I hook up my EZ-Vac cleaner it drops to 2/3 psi and the EZ-Vac does not move about the pool or lay flat like before.
I have taken out the basket in the pump and felt around, found nothing. I did notice that others stuck a small screw driver in to see if the found anything and checked the movement of the fan... but I was afraid to do that. I do not want to damage this unit.
Any ways... it is getting BIG suction, it even colapsed the hose on the intake if the hose was not sitting in a more direct fashion to the pump. As for the output... well it is ok. Not a huge amount of water flowing out.
Some things I think I may have wrong:
Is the pump/filter system too high compared to the water level? (at this point I have top of filter about 6" below water level)
Do I have to lube the filter gasket before using the first time?
When putting the filter lid back on, the 'locking ring-latch' engages, but seems like the lid rocks back and forth. Directions say hand tight.
And last... it talks briefly about a 'ball-valve'... do you think I need one somewhere?
Thanks for any help!!.... jj

jessejane
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jessejane » Tue 07 Oct, 2008 18:58

bump!
Isn't there anyone that can help???? please :(

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Oct, 2008 23:04

Not sure I can help but I'll give it a try. First thing that comes to mind for the pressure dropping is a blockage in the cleaner or a hole in the hose for the cleaner.

10 psi for the system without the cleaner is fine. If you get strong suction, that is all you want. If you are getting strong suction then the return should be fine unless water is somehow going elsewhere other than the pool.

When you take the cleaner out does pressure go back up to about 10 psi? If so, problem is in the cleaner.

As to your questions:

Is filter to high? Nope.
Lube filter gasket before first use? Nope. I lube the filter gasket whenever I take it apart.
Filter lid rock? Does the filter leak when turned on? If not, you have it together right.
Using a ball valve. Sounds like you have an above ground pool and the equipment is below the water level. A ball valve is handy if this is the case so you can shut off water flow to pump when cleaning pump basket.

jessejane wrote:bump!
Isn't there anyone that can help???? please :(
jessejane
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jessejane » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:56

Thanks....
Yes, you would think that with all that pressure/suction that it would be good... though even running all day, just the pump w/out the cleaner attached, it only cleans about half the pool.... with nothing to 'stir-up' the junk off the bottom, or keep it moving so it eventually gets to the intake... well it is really disappointing.
It is an 18' round and 4 1/2' deep. The original little pump did just as good a job... this thing has much more power and yet doesn't touch the other side of the pool.
I did find in my research that it is suppose to run at around 20psi, not 50 as I thought.... but I just cant get over how it is not helping!
jj :shock:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”