Can Water Temp cause water loss?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
tyler1012000
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can Water Temp cause water loss?

Postby tyler1012000 » Mon 15 May, 2006 12:11

We bought an 18x36 inground swimming pool last summer with a heater. We opened it this year at about the middle of april so we had the heater at about 90. Well, we still get pretty coold nights around the mid 40's and we've ordered a solar cover but it's not here yet. Anyway, i noticed that we were losing quite a bit of water 2-3 inches a week!!! I know we have a very small leak by our chlorinator but not enough to cause this. Well, we turned the heater off because we were having about a week straight of 50 degree weather and knew we wouldn't be using the pool and the water loss has slowed down drastically. Can having such warm pool water in colder weather cause faster evaporation leading to water loss. If somebody could please help me I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks, Tyler

PoolGuy
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Where is the water

Postby PoolGuy » Thu 06 Jul, 2006 16:21

This is ok,heat,will take your water,swimming takes your water,so this is ok. Long as you know you do not have a leak in your pool.
Worked and Bulit Pools,For 23 Years
the pool doctor

leaks

Postby the pool doctor » Wed 04 Oct, 2006 19:26

once the rainy season ends and the humidity(which acts as a blanket to keep water in pools) leaves and the difference between the overnight lows and daytime high temperatures widen, the evaporation rate,especially on heated pools without a solar blanket,can increase by 85%hope this helps

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Dec, 2006 01:37

1/2" per day, heated pool is average for heated pool. multiply by 7 days=31/2". where is water going? Go outside at night watch steam rolling off your pool.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”