backwash inground pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
victoriamarion1

backwash inground pool

Postby victoriamarion1 » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 16:23

exactly how hard is it to backwash a sand filter pool? I have one in the new house and have never had to backwash a pool and i do not understand what to do. can someone help me with info?

Re: backwash inground pool

Postby Guest » Mon 06 Oct, 2008 06:47

It isn't hard. You should have what is called a multiport valve on or near the filter. It will say filter, rinse, waste, backwash and perhaps another position on it.

Normally this valve is in filter position while the equipment is running. To backwash you turn off the equipment and move the valve setting to backwash. Turn the equipment back on and run the equipment until the water leaving the filter is clear (usually a few minutes).

Turn off the equipment. Set the valve to rinse and run for a minute or two. Turn off equipment and set valve to filter. Turn equipment back on.

Sounds more involved that it really is.

When you do backwash you want to figure out where the water is going. It may be plumbed directly to the sewer line or it may just dump the water somewhere in your yard.

If you have further questions, just ask.

victoriamarion1 wrote:exactly how hard is it to backwash a sand filter pool? I have one in the new house and have never had to backwash a pool and i do not understand what to do. can someone help me with info?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”