Correct testing for Chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Vet

Postby Vet » Fri 10 Oct, 2008 01:29

I just had my pool water tested at the shop and was shocked to find the fc down to .5 I have been doing the Dpt tablet test often and balancing the pool. Everytime I tested it looked to be about 4. Am I testing wrong? The tablets are only new, and I take the water elbow deep. You are suppose to let the tablet fully dissolve then read?

Vet

Postby Vet » Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:03

I meant to say dpd tablets. Sorry the fc was .6 and total chlorine 1.8 so cc of 1.2 I superchlorinated the pool, should I have just tried to shock it another way by adding chlorine or done both?

TA 43
PH 7.4
Calcium 192
Salt 4800
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:13

It sounds like you are using the color comparator block test with DPD tablets. The chlorine may be dissipating by the time you get to your pool store but in any event you should get a better test kit. The FAS-DPD chlorine test is far superior as it accurately measures chlorine to within 0.2 ppm or 0.5 ppm depending on sample size and can measure up to 50 ppm FC and doesn't bleach out the way the DPD test does above 10 ppm.

You can get a Taylor K-2006 kit that has the FAS-DPD chlorine test at a good online price here or you can get the TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test". You can read more about how to maintain your pool at the Pool School.

Richard
Vetsa

Postby Vetsa » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:20

Thanks Richard
Will invest in new kit. :D

Return to “Chlorine”