VERY LOW PH AND HEAVY ALGAE

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
TAPON

Postby TAPON » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 18:53

I LEAVE IN THE HOUSTON TX AREA AND EVER SINCE HURICANE IKE MY POOL HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME.MY PH IS VERY LOW(6.8) I HAVE ADDE SODA ASH TWICE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT RECOMENDED TO BRING THE PH WITHIN RANGE.ALSO I CAN NOT CONTROL THE ALGAE.MY TEST STRIPS DO NOT SHOW ANY FREE CHLORINE.I HAVE USED APPROX.30 LBS OF SHOCK,BUT IT HASN'T HELP.I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.CAN ANYONE HELP?NOW MY ALKALINITY IS HIGH AND SO IS MY STABILIZER.I VACUUM THE POOL JUST ABOUT EVERDAY TO GET RID OF THE ALGAE(AND OF COURSE I BACKWASH THE FILTER AFTER EVERY VACUUMING).THANKS[/b]

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 19:16

The primary problem is that your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level (aka stabilizer or conditioner) is too high. That makes the chlorine less effective and allows algae to grow. If you have been using Dichlor for shocking the pool, then that would make the problem far worse since for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm. If you were using Cal-Hypo, then for every 10 ppm FC it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by 7 ppm. Shocking the pool with chlorinating liquid or unscented bleach avoids adding any CYA or CH.

Since your pH remains low, I suspect you are using Trichlor pucks/tabs as your regular source of chlorine since it has very low pH (or you have been using Dichlor for shock as noted above). For every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm.

You can read more about maintaining your pool, shocking, and defeating algae at the Pool School.

Richard

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”