Can I add chlorine in the pool while the chlorine generator

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Stressed but Happy, CA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can I add chlorine in the pool while the chlorine generator

Postby Stressed but Happy, CA » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:13

I have a smart pure sanitizer II that is not working. I am wondering, since I will be out for 2 weeks travelling, if I could put chlorine in the pool without harming the system, I mean, I have no chlorine now and I am afraid the pool will be green when I come back. I am afraid to make any changes before travelling and not being here to watch. The chlorinator displays no flow. Goldline technician pointed what could be wrong, but I imagine it would take some time to fix it (ordering parts, etc). I was not able to get the technician yet, they're closed on Sat. I am travelling tomorrow, Tue. What do I do? Should I just leave and take care after the holidays?

ninpoolman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ninpoolman » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 14:30

Go ahead and add chlorine to your pool; it wouldn't hurt your system. Make sure you have enough conditioner in the water so the chlorine will last the two weeks.
Barry
Barry Brodeur
Owner A-1 Pool Service
since 1976
Being a pool grunt since '65.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 19:25

It's very unlikely your chlorine will last for 2 weeks unless there isn't much sun hitting the water (or you use an opaque pool cover). Nevertheless, it's better than nothing and should hold off algae for about a week. If you lower the pH before adding the chlorine (say, down to 7.2 before adding chlorine), that will help as more chlorine breaks down in sunlight at higher pH than at lower pH. Add a shock level of an FC that is up to 40% of your CYA level.
Stressed but Happy, CA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Stressed but Happy, CA » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 22:56

Thanks a lot! I already lowered the PH this morning. Will do the liquid chlorine tomorrow morning. Thanks again,
Heloisa

Return to “Chlorine”