Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Damasco Perez Prado
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Rebuilding Old Pool?

Postby Damasco Perez Prado » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 15:09

Our pool in Miami is more than 30 years old and is clearly leaking. The pool is 15x34 feet, and goes down to a depth of about 8 feet. One contractor says the only leak is from the return lines (there is an odd system of 21 self-cleaning lines) that he proposes replacing with three inlets. Pool also needs refinishing. ... A friend says that if I refinish, replace the patio area deck that will be dug up, etc., I should go all the way, and replace the main line in the bottom of the pool and the line that goes through the skimmer also. They do not appear to be leaking now, but to redo patio and pool and not replace main lines, my friend says, would mean that I might do an expensive pool repair and then have to redo the whole thing again, maybe, in a fairly short period of time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
-- Damasco in Miami

Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 16:09

Good advice from your freind, we will often rebuild a pool and it is very easy to do if the pool is being redone anyway. and then you don't have to worry about for a long time.
Pool repair guy

Rebuilding Old Pool?

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 16:46

I would agree that redoing all the piping is a good idea. The extra cost is small compared to the cost of the whole contract and at least you will have peace of mind knowing that the whole pool has been refurbished and will give you many more years of use.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: Swimming Pool Construction for 40+ Years for InGround and Above Ground Pools.

Rebuilding Old Pool?

Postby PoolsComHelper » Mon 09 Mar, 2009 15:34

Considering that your pool is already 30 years old. The option of rebuilding the entire pool is a reasonable one. If your pool is constructed of a sprayed concrete material (often referred to as “gunite” or “shotcrete”) its pretty well-known within the industry that over time the surface actually begins to lose its watertight abilities. Eventually, many such pools begin to leach water through the entire surface of the pool, especially in the areas of the interior surface that may be wearing thinner and thinner over time.

The option of redoing all of your plumbing is also a safe choice considering age. Today, there are simple ways to replumb water lines using special “sweep elbows” that, when used throughout the process, can actually help the pump work more efficiently using less energy. This is achieved by reducing resistance in the lines compared to traditional “elbow” fittings.

Lastly, based upon new federal legislation (Virginia Graehm Baker Act) that became effective on Dec 19th, 2008, your main drain is probably no longer in compliance with today’s safety codes and any reputable and professional pool dealer working on your swimming pool will probably be able to explain to you the federal main drain specifications that are now required to be installed on all new and rehabbed pools nationwide. Redoing the entire pool at one time would enable you to realize many more years of reliable, efficient, and safe use of your backyard oasis, not mention the opportunity to update the overall appearance of your home.

Good Luck,
Dennis The Pool Guy

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”