sodium bisulfate, ....??
cayers
I'm new here
I'm new here

TDS is 4.2 ppt water taste salty

Postby cayers » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 16:05

I am new at this.
The water taste salty and the PH is 7.6 free chlorine is 1.5 combined is 1.0
temp 80 TA125 hardness is 300. I found this cool TDS tester and tested the water it is 4.2 PPT but all the information I have found goes by ppm (which is between 1,000-2,000ppm) I do not know how to convert it to see if this is my problem. Can you help me on this.
Thanks
Cayers :?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 16:41

PPT is parts-per-thousand so you must multiply this by 1000 to get PPM which is parts-per-million. 4.2 ppt is 4200 ppm. Saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools are typically around 3000 ppm salt (chloride measured as ppm sodium chloride) with a TDS of around 3200 (the extra is mostly from calcium and bicarbonate). Most non-SWG plaster pools have a TDS from 500 to 1500 or so, depending on dilution.

All sources of chlorine add to the salt content of the water (except SWG pools remain more stable in salt because they generate chlorine from the salt itself), though some sources add about twice as much as others. Also, if you add lots of acid and alkalinity up over time, then that also increases the salt level. If you don't backwash your filter, say because it's a cartridge filter, and don't have a lot of splash-out, then the salt level will build up faster. The only way to reduce the TDS (or salt) is by dilution of the water (i.e. partial drain/refill).

Richard
ayersc

Postby ayersc » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 08:59

Ok
That makes sence.
Thanks

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”