Pool kicking off breaker

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
ruthven
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool kicking off breaker

Postby ruthven » Mon 22 May, 2006 12:13

This is only our second summer with a pool. We are trying to get our pool started for the summer and we are having trouble getting the pump/filter to circulate because every time we plug it up to start circulation it pulls power through the plug and knocks out the breaker. We thought it might be our cord and have replaced that but it is still throwing the breaker every time we try to start it up. Anyone else have this problem or know what might be the cause?

pooldad

Pool kicking off breaker

Postby pooldad » Fri 23 Jun, 2006 21:18

I had the same problem for the first two years and finally called an electrician who did two things. First, he removed the rusted receptacle from the outdoor power outlet and drilled two small drain holes in the floor of the electrical box. It seems that rain water would get inside and short out the circuit. Second, he noticed there were two ground fault receptacles placed in the line from the pool to the electric panel; one in the panel and one by the pool. The electrician said this was the other reason for the constant tripping of the breaker. You only need to have one ground fault at the panel or one outside, but two will be a problem that can easily cause the breaker to trip.

Call an electician if you are concerned. If not, I hope this helps. Be sure to cut the power before completing any of these proceedures.
:shock:

Postby Guest » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:43

That is good advice - but first decide if the problem is in the pump, or the circiut.

1. Unplug the pump on turn on the Breaker. See if it holds for a while. If it doesn't then suspect the outlet. Any moisture in the outlet can cause the breaker to trip. There may also be other outlets on the circuit.

2. It it holds plug in a shop vac or a drill - if it holds then then the pump has a problem.

I don't know your abilities - so if in doubt call an electrician.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”