Understanding Chlorine/Cloudy Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
slfairless

Understanding Chlorine/Cloudy Water

Postby slfairless » Tue 23 May, 2006 11:25

I have a 44,000 gallon pool. My chemicals are all within range. My cover busted through over the winter so I had tons of leaves, pine needles, worms, etc. to clean out. My pool is clean now but I still have cloudy water and can't get chlorine to register above 0.5 ppm. I've been running with 3" tables for about 20 hours per day and I've shocked my pool with sun burn (1 lb. per 20,000 gallons) four times in the last two weeks...
1. 2 lbs. (40,00 gal)
2. 3 lbs. (60,00 gal)
3. 3 lbs. (60,00 gal)
4. 6 lbs. (120,00 gal)

Is it possible that my pool just needed all this chlorine and it's being dissolved as fast as I can add it? Or is there something else going on here?

Also, is sun burn shock the same as free chlorine?

kathy

cloudy water

Postby kathy » Sat 27 May, 2006 20:30

I too had the same problem. My cover was old and didn't hold water. I cannot get my free chlorine level up and have shocked it several times. Wondering if you found any answers yet. I was told at the pool store that whatever is in my pool is using up the chlorine.
J

Same problem

Postby J » Sun 28 May, 2006 15:46

8) Have the pool store test for stabilizer levels. I had the same problem. They sold me a bottle called Instant Pool Conditioner. This provides a " mask" for the chlorine so that it has time to work.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”