algae vs filter

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
wentiek1
I'm new here
I'm new here

algae vs filter

Postby wentiek1 » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:07

my apartment swimming pool having algae problem. The serviceman insist that the filter is not filtering well and ask it to be changed.
Is there a relation between algae and filter? or the serviceman just want to make more money.
I can only relate the algae problem with chemical level in all the previous post.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

algae vs filter

Postby chem geek » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:15

If the pump were not working, then the lack of proper circulation could allow chlorine to be depleted locally and for algae to grow. However, if only the filter is not working, that is not filtering, but circulation is still OK, then that would not lead to algae. It could lead to cloudy water. Filtration removes visible particles from the water -- it's primary purpose is to maintain water clarity. The filter does not kill algae (I assume it is not "active filter media").

As you've no doubt read from other posts here, check your pool's Free Chlorine (FC) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels. In a manually dosed pool, the FC should be at least 7.5% of the CYA level to prevent algae growth unless you use a supplemental algaecide (e.g. PolyQuat 60) or a phosphate remover. You can learn more by reading up at the Pool School including how to get rid of algae at Trouble Free Pool.

Richard
wentiek1
I'm new here
I'm new here

algae vs filter

Postby wentiek1 » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 21:51

Thanks alot. exactly to solving my doubt :D

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”