self cleaning salt water pool

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
gene

self cleaning salt water pool

Postby gene » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 23:45

I may be buying a house in Az. It has a 4year old self cleaning salt water pool. Wondering if the upkeep including electricity use is a big expense? Any ideas?

lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Self cleaning salt water pool

Postby lonestar » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:06

The salt cell wont use much electricity. The pump will. Nothing like your Air conditioner though. At 4 years the salt cell may be at least at the halfway mark in its life, but they certainly are a joy to swim in and easy to maintain compared to the alternative.

I dont know much about "self cleaning" in floor systems, though the ones ive seen use a separate pump.
poolside

Postby poolside » Mon 02 Mar, 2009 15:42

I had a salt unit on my pool. Although it's cheaper than using chemicals,and the salt content is only about the same as a teardrop, it will eventually stain your pool from your heater. It also corrodes your heater and any other metal parts in the system. I'd never have one again. As for the self-cleaning, that means you have approximately 5 more connections and pipes for possible leakage. Also, the rotary gear that disperses the water to the separate outlets in the pool wear out anywhere from 6 months to a year, and are fairly costly to replace. I've never seen one last more than a year. I removed the gear and let the water disperse through ALL the outlets at once. It really never worked that great anyway. I still had to sweep or vacuum the last of the debris. The simpler the pool, the better off you are.

Postby Guest » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 06:30

it's cheaper than using chemicals,and the salt content is only about the same as a teardrop, it will eventually stain your pool from your heater. It also corrodes your heater and any other metal parts in the system

So after you buy the unit, install and maintain it, then you get rid of the stains and replace the metal things, it probably isn't cheaper overall.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”