pH test color change

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
gchr

pH test color change

Postby gchr » Tue 23 May, 2006 13:44

Hi,

I have the following problem.
I've just opened my pool and when I'm testing the water I get some strange results:
The water is overchlorinated
The pH test color is yellowish, ie under 6.8 but if I leave the test tubes for a while, after ~8 minutes the color gets a gray tone and after ~15 minutes it's purple. That's above 8.2!!!
I'm confused. Which is the correct pH value?

Any ideas?

Pool obsessed

In The Same Boat...

Postby Pool obsessed » Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:28

I have the same problem :( I've been working with a pool so green for 3 wks I just don't know what else to do. Today I inadvertantly left the test out for 5 mins instead of immediately dumping it after the fine result of 7.2. The Ph result was over 8.... such a pretty purple :shock: There's so much Chlorine in the pool it's not funny & the algae isn't dying. I have only a simple pool, 4600 gal Intex. I ran the filter for wks, test it 5 x's a day, shock it, pray over it...only to find very little algae in the filter. Went out, bought a new filter {thinking the filter was the problem} and same result, it's taking out very little of the algae. So yesterday I added flocculent and am going to shut the filter off. Maybe, just maybe most of it will sink to the bottom I can then go out and rent a vacuum to suck up the heavy algae then deal with the remaining floating algae. * sigh * :cry:

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”